LS 2013 and Universal Providers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a LS HTML Client  project and I added ASP.NET Universal Providers (nugget package) and know I have several errors, for example: "The type or namespace name 'EntityClient' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Data' (are you missing an assembly reference?)"

Do I need something else to work with Universal Providers in LS HTML Client Project?

Monday, May 12, 2014 5:36 PM

Answers

• I need Universal Providers in LS HTML App to manage sessions on Azure, for example using cache.

Thanks for your feedback.

For this session management issue in Azure, we need understand the items below.

In VS 2010 the SQL providers were in only providers used for our project templates. In VS 2012 we have switched to using the Universal Providers. One of the drawbacks of the SQL providers is that it leverages DB objects of SQL server which are not available in SQL Azure.

Refference:

the ASP.NET SQL providers, and the ASP.NET Universal Providers

In azure platform, VMs need interact each other, the session ASP.NET Universal Providers created doesn't share session , so we use azure cache to manage session.

Further information:

Managing session state in Windows Azure

hope it helps.

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Friday, May 30, 2014 2:26 AM
    Monday, May 26, 2014 6:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to the error message above, you need check whether you add reference to ASP.NET Universal Providers properly. You could get the package in the link below.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/webdev/archive/2012/08/20/releasing-microsoft-asp-net-universal-providers-core-1-2.aspx

hope it helps.

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 11:00 AM
  • Thank you for you response, but Core package has the same result, I think this is because Universal Providers has a dependency of EF 6.0.

Simple test: New LS HTML App Project, manage nuget package and add core universal providers.

Monday, May 19, 2014 1:42 PM
  • More info: I need Universal Providers in LS HTML App to manage sessions on Azure, for example using cache.
    Monday, May 19, 2014 1:46 PM
  • I need Universal Providers in LS HTML App to manage sessions on Azure, for example using cache.

Thanks for your feedback.

For this session management issue in Azure, we need understand the items below.

In VS 2010 the SQL providers were in only providers used for our project templates. In VS 2012 we have switched to using the Universal Providers. One of the drawbacks of the SQL providers is that it leverages DB objects of SQL server which are not available in SQL Azure.

Refference:

the ASP.NET SQL providers, and the ASP.NET Universal Providers

In azure platform, VMs need interact each other, the session ASP.NET Universal Providers created doesn't share session , so we use azure cache to manage session.

Further information:

Managing session state in Windows Azure

hope it helps.

Regards

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Friday, May 30, 2014 2:26 AM
    Monday, May 26, 2014 6:17 AM