none
Access 2010 Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday, I was opening a bunch of Access databases on our network, some of them were .mdb extensions and some were .accdb. I have been creating/using my databases in 2010.  Since opening those other databases, my databases aren't working.  When I try to run queries or macros, they just spin and everything is running slow.  I read Access 2007/2010 aren't compatible on the same PC.  What can I do to fix this?

Friday, June 9, 2017 2:09 PM

All replies

• You always need to develop databases using the oldest version that will be running them.  So if you will have both Access 2007 and 2010 running your dbs, you need to be working with 2007.  Furthermore, you need to distribute copies of the FE to each user that way a user that opens it with Access 2010 doesn't end up changing the file and then your users with Access 2007 will not longer be able to open them.

Review: http://www.devhut.net/2017/04/09/setting-up-an-ms-access-database/

At this point, what version of Access are you running?
    Have you rebooted your PC?
    Have you Compacted and Repaired the database? (This has to be done using Access 2007 considering your scenario)

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2016 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Friday, June 9, 2017 2:14 PM
  • I'm running 2010 and have for 3 years.  I initially rebooted.  Then, I uninstalled Windows 7.  Reinstalled it. I even rebooted again today.  I compacted and repaired the database a couple of times. 

We are preparing for an upgrade of a system (JDE) that we have direct links to with ODBC files.  I was trying to confirm all the various databases on our network that actually contain these connections by opening them up.  Typically, any databases I create and share with people are in Access 2010 and up until me opening those older ones yesterday, no one has ever had a problem using my databases. 

Since my original post, I tried to recreate my database in 2010.  I setup all brand new ODBC connections to many files.  I imported the queries, macros, forms, and modules from my original DB.  Everything works okay so far, with the exception of two queries.  They work, but take forever to run now. 

Friday, June 9, 2017 3:13 PM
  • Hi Accesswoman5,

first to narrow down the issue.

can you tell us did you created this databases in Access 2007 or 2010?

you had mentioned that you try to open bunch of databases and everything start working very slow.

is it necessary for you to start multiple databases simultaneously?

I suggest you to try to open each database one by one and ty to perform your desired operation.

you had mentioned that you got error in 2 queries.

did you try to check that 2 queries? what if you try to delete that queries from database, is it solve your issue? is database work correctly?

I suggest you to post that 2 queries here with error message so that we can try to check those queries and ty to solve the error. then we can again add those 2 queries to the database and check whether database work correctly or not.

other thing you had mentioned that you are trying to upgrade the JDE system. so did your JDE system using these database as backend using ODBC connection?

try to check whether issue is related with your JDE system. it is possible that it is performing some operation and because of that operation everything get slow.

let us know about your testing results. so that we can try to provide further suggestions.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 12, 2017 2:37 AM