The Role of the Software Architect: Caring and Communicating RRS feed

• General discussion

• Just got published with my article: The Role of the Software Architect: Caring and Communicating I am hoping you will want to comment and discus it's idea here:

The role of the software architect is a subject of much debate. In this article, I will discuss the qualities and personal traits of the ideal software architect. I will discuss why it is critical that the architect be a caring person who values interpersonal communication above all else.

This article describes the role of the software architect from the perspective of the ideal nature of a successful architect. My exploration touches the octopus/chameleon/parrot/bull-nature that is the heart and soul of the architect. We need to recognize, as software architects ourselves, that what we do is aimed at changing the lives of many different groups of people.

Cheers,

/Magnus

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 7:20 AM

All replies

• Excellent article Magnus.

Thursday, March 6, 2008 7:20 AM
  • Thanks a lot! It is not easy being an architect and some confuse it with authority and other irrelevant things. Being an architect is caring! And those of us who do have the chance to be really good architects.

/Magnus

Sunday, March 9, 2008 10:01 PM
  • Good article... 

In the past 14+ years I have worked with organizations of different size, shape, background and culture...  Artchitecture means different in each of them...  In one, architect is nothing but a toll gate, in other architect sends lots of teck emails from vendors to tek folks in the company, in other architect writes the most complex piece of algorithm that a common developer can not, and finally, the prefix of architect may change the ball game fully like Infrastructure architect, Data architect, Application architect, Solution architect, Information architect, Security architect...

Somewhere, the essence of architect is lost in almost all of the companies now a days.

I also have a great respect for this article with the role of architect...

http://www.martinfowler.com/ieeeSoftware/whoNeedsArchitect.pdf

An expert...

In many ways, the most important activity of Architectus Oryzus is to mentor the development team, to raise their level so that they can take on more complex issues. Improving the development team’s ability gives an architect much greater leverage than being the sole decision maker and thus running the risk of being an architectural bottleneck. This leads to the satisfying rule of thumb that an architect’s value is inversely proportional to the number of decisions he or she makes.

Monday, March 10, 2008 5:09 PM