none
Difference between Access runtime and Microsoft access database engine 2010 redistribute. RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I'm using vb.net 2010.

Database : MS Access 2007 and 2010.

Some client's PC don't have MS Access so I would like to include MS access 2007 or 2010 redistribute file.

When google I found two DB engine.

1. AccessRuntime

Access 2010, x86 
    Access 2010, x64 

2. Microsoft access database engine 2010 redistribute. 

I don't want to include AccessRuntime in my setup file. Reason: Big File size.

I install both the database engine and test the connection. my project works on both.

So, I would like to know the difference between these two. what are the advantages and disadvantages?

Please guide me to achieve my goal.

Thanks,

Thenndral

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 7:43 AM

Answers

• The Access runtime enables you to actually run database applications designed in Microsoft Access. It is essentially a limited version of Microsoft Access, with the design functionality removed. The Access Database Engine (or ACE) contains the database engine files, OLEDB and ODBC providers which enable other applications to connect to Microsoft Access database files and query and update the data.

If your application is just working with the Access database data, there is no need for the Access runtime. If you are attempting to run an Access database application, then the Access runtime or Microsoft Access application would be required.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:09 PM

All replies

• The Access runtime enables you to actually run database applications designed in Microsoft Access. It is essentially a limited version of Microsoft Access, with the design functionality removed. The Access Database Engine (or ACE) contains the database engine files, OLEDB and ODBC providers which enable other applications to connect to Microsoft Access database files and query and update the data.

If your application is just working with the Access database data, there is no need for the Access runtime. If you are attempting to run an Access database application, then the Access runtime or Microsoft Access application would be required.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:09 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. 

It gives me to make a decision. 

Thanks again,

thenndral

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 10:04 AM
  • I have a followup question to the above.   I am using VS 2012 (with VB) and OLEDB to connect to a 2007+ Access database (still working on converting all from ADO to ADO.net).   The application seems to do everything just fine with only the DB Engine and not the Runtime, until I try to do a compact/repair programmatically.   Then it seems the Runtime is required.   Does that seem to be legit or should I be able to do this with just the DB Engine and am just missing something?  Code is essentially:

Friend DBEngine As New Microsoft.Office.Interop.Access.Dao.DBEngine

DBEngine.Compactdatabase(path1,path2)

All the posts I have found on this seem to be old and don't suggest a better way to do this in .Net.   Is there a better way to do a compact/repair?

Thank you all!

Thursday, December 19, 2019 5:52 PM