none
safe to install an older .NET framework? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it safe to install an older .NET framework?

An msi package shows the message "This setup requires the .NET Framework version 1.1.4322.  Please install .NET framework and run this setup again..."  I currently have .NET Framework version

MS .NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP3 Developer
    MS .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2 Developer
    MS .NET Compact Framework 3.5 Developer
    MS .NET Framework 2.0 SP1
    MS .NET Framework 3.0 SP1
    MS .NET Framework 3.5

Saturday, November 14, 2009 12:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Dennis

.NET Framework have backward compatibility, which means you could run the application built in .NET 1.1 under .NET 2.0 or above environment.(compact framework is another story, they are used in mobile devices)

And yes, you can install .NET 1.1, and it will co-exist with other versions.

By the way, what is your Windows version, do you have any problem to run it?

Thanks.

Figo Fei

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 6:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Dennis

.NET Framework have backward compatibility, which means you could run the application built in .NET 1.1 under .NET 2.0 or above environment.(compact framework is another story, they are used in mobile devices)

And yes, you can install .NET 1.1, and it will co-exist with other versions.

By the way, what is your Windows version, do you have any problem to run it?

Thanks.

Figo Fei

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 6:06 AM
  • Thank you.  Yes, I found the frameworks do co-exists safely, just as you said they would.  To answer your question, I am using Windosw XP Professional SP2, and I had no problems running it.  
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 12:37 AM