none
Problem with the .NET 3.0 SP2 bootstrapper. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I developped an application using C#.net under VS2008 and I created a windows installer in order to publish the final release.

The installer works well and the application is successfully deployed in the client machine.

When running the application we discovered that it needs the .NET 3.0 SP1. So I downloaded and installed the .NET 3.0 SP1 bootstrapper in my machine and I obtained the .NET 3.0 SP1 as a prerequisite for my application.

After rebuilding the setup.msi file, I run it again in the client machine but I obtained the same error and the installer didn't request the .NET 3.0 SP1 in startup of installation.

for clarification I get this output during setup building :

No 'HomeSite' attribute has been provided for '.NET Framework 3.0 SP2', so the package will be published to the same location as the bootstrapper.

and obtained a 124Mb directory named "DotNetFx30SP2" with the output setup.msi file.

How can I solve this issue in order to make the installer download the SP1 update of .NET 3.0 at startup in the client machine ?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 3:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Aymen_IIS,

Thank you for your reply.

Some clarification with you:
    Did you deploy your application with Setup Project?
    If yes, did you select "Download components from the component vendor's web site." option for your deployment?

After some search on the Internet, it seems that VS bootstrapper packages for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 don't support the option.
    For more information, please check: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2009/03/03/9457968.aspx

Your post on ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum will be evaluated carefully by our engineers. They will let you know their comments further through that portal if they can find some suggestion.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:15 AM
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 4:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Aymen_IIS,

Thank you for your post.

Based on your description, it seems that your application is built on .NET Framework 3.0 with SP1, right?

For your concern, could you please help me to check whether this scenario will happen if you deploy the application on .NET Framework 3.5 or .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 since .NET Framework 3.5 includes .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 as prerequisite?

BTW, this forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. Since your issue is related to deployment, if you have any further concern, you could post your thread on ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 10:13 AM
  • Thank you YiChun Chen,

I moved my question to the concerned forum.

The same scenario happens when I deploy the application on .NET Framework 3.5 or .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

Cordially.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 10:50 AM
  • Hi Aymen_IIS,

Thank you for your reply.

Some clarification with you:
    Did you deploy your application with Setup Project?
    If yes, did you select "Download components from the component vendor's web site." option for your deployment?

After some search on the Internet, it seems that VS bootstrapper packages for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 don't support the option.
    For more information, please check: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2009/03/03/9457968.aspx

Your post on ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum will be evaluated carefully by our engineers. They will let you know their comments further through that portal if they can find some suggestion.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:15 AM
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 4:44 AM
  • Hi YiChun Chen,

To clarify, I deployed my application using a setup project with the option "Download components from the component vendor's web site." checked.

Thank you again for the help.

Cordially.
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 8:41 AM
  • Hi Aymen_IIS,

Thank you for your clarification.

Hope your issue will be solved ASAP!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:16 AM