none
automatically flashing pictures on screen using visual studio RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Visual Studio Express 2012. My final goal is to create an executable to do this:

When I click to start the exe file, a picture should repeatedly appear and disappear on screen. The picture is a jpg (or other format) stored in the same folder with the exe file. The exact sequence:

1. the original screen is arbitrary. I open the folder to access the exe file. The picture is also there in the same folder.

2. I double-click on the exe to start execution

3. the screen turns black, completely empty for a given amount of time (say t1=0.5sec)

4. after t1=0.5sec, the respective picture pops out, preferably full screen, in its own window and stays there frozen for t2=0.3sec

5. after t2=0.3sec, the picture and its window disappears completely and the screen turns completely black for another t1=0.5sec

6. this sequence is repeated automatically for 20 seconds, after which the screen turns back to the original.

The idea is to make the graphics card work intermittently by forcing a picture and its window on and off. It is essential to turn the window completely off every time (unlike most slide shows, where a permanent window is filled with successive pictures).

Can you give me some ideas?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 5:35 PM

All replies

• We can probably understand better if we know why you are doing this?
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 5:40 PM
  • I am comparing the behavior of various graphics cards under intermittent loading. Some of them tend to heat up or emit acoustic noise under such a loading. None of the usual graphics benchmarks (e.g. Furmark, Dolphin 3D) is designed to do that. I was not able to do this using Python-opencv due to various compatibility issues and shaky support. I am betting on VS as a solid choice.
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 6:07 PM
  • You haven't indicated what the problem is.  You should show the code you are using from the examples, such as

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/24371989/How-to-display-images-full-screen.html,
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/a022522a-0e59-4ed1-9f19-de522cc3fc56/make-a-picturebox-fullscreen?forum=vbgeneral
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3DWqwdXw-s

and indicate why that solution doesn't match what you want to do.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 8:43 PM
  • There is no 'problem' here. All I was after were some ideas (even general) how to tackle this. I think my original description was quite clear and complete. It should be read just like a 'home assignment' project, with no additional information necessary. Like: 'How would you do this, Mr Jones'?

Thanks for the links, but they don't help (they concentrate just only on the 'full screen' preference, not on the main purpose).

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:05 PM
  •  It should be read just like a 'home assignment' project, with no additional information necessary. Like: 'How would you do this, Mr Jones'?

Yes that is what all contributors to software forums know. And they try to help persons who need to do that by not giving them the code, but let them make those themselves. 

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 10:02 PM
  • I did not ask for any code, but for general ideas, if you read my post in its entirety. This would answer the question whether VB is even capable of doing this, which would benefit the community.

Never mind.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 10:16 PM
  • Thanks for the links, but they don't help (they concentrate just only on the 'full screen' preference, not on the main purpose).

Explain what you mean by this.  What part of your main purpose is not addressed in those examples?  What other examples have you used, and where did they not meet your requirements?

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 10:40 PM
  • Of course it is possible, Acamar has given in his second link everything you need to start and than it is just using the right controls at the right time. 

How, that is the same like driving, you should not start on the highway with driving a truck. 

Follow first some tutorials which you can find on Internet.   

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 10:40 PM
  • I did not ask for any code, but for general ideas, if you read my post in its entirety. This would answer the question whether VB is even capable of doing this, which would benefit the community.

Never mind.

So now you are no longer interested in some assistance ?
    Wednesday, November 22, 2017 3:25 AM

In your description, there is nothing else than displaying/hiding a picture in a window.

I don't see how it could be a benchmark for a video card as it is just GDI/GDI+

(DirectX should be used to test the GPU)

Thursday, November 23, 2017 10:42 AM