none
Navigation View in Expression Web 4? RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft pre-sales told me that Expression Web 4 had reintroduced a Navigation View.  She even checked with her supervisor!

Now that I purchased it, I can't find any mention of it.

Of course she also told me EW4 comes with "90 days of free technical support," which turned out to be posting in this forum :-/

Oh, and a "no questions asked"  full money-back guarantee.

So is there anything like a Front Page Navigation View in Expression Web 4?

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 7:06 PM

All replies

• No mention was ever made of a navigation view like FP in EW4.
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 7:26 PM
  • Actually. we provide as many days of free technical support as you want.  ;-)

In truth, as we repeat again and again, although we seem to have become the designated hitter for tech support according to Microsoft, we are not Microsoft employees and everything we do is voluntary, on our own time.

As it happens, we've got a pretty checked-out crew of contributors here, so we can answer quite a few questions, both about EW in its various incarnations and about HTML, CSS, and javascript in general.

Nonetheless, we never asked for the role of tech support, or expected it, and we don't get compensated for it. Therefore, we are not the ones to complain to about how EW isn't FrontPage, or this or that feature is missing, or any of the other issues that are only within the control of Microsoft itself.

Unfortunately, that includes the training of the sales gerbils in pre-sales, who apparently don't have clue #1 about EW, since Navigation View (and Shared Borders) has been gone since the inception of EW as Expression Web Designer (EW1).

Don't let it bother you, though. There are much better, more compliant, less proprietary solutions around for navigation. And they don't require the FPSE, which you should be ditching as fast as you possibly can, before your provider does so and leaves you high and dry.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    • Proposed as answer by Thom Gray Rome Wednesday, September 29, 2010 10:43 PM
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 7:43 PM
  • No navigation view and probably won't ever be. Should have downloaded the trial and tested it against your needs before you bought it or heck looked at any of the many reviews and "what's new" articles out there.

MS offers a trial so blue most who offer a try before you buy there is no refund. Some vendors do offer money back guarantees so if you bought from one of them call your vendor.

This forum has a couple of stickies which talk about support,

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:23 PM
  • Well, no product on the market--at all--offers support for Navigation View and other FP kludges.

Since FP is long dead and support no longer available from MS for such things as FPSEs, you might as well stick with EW and modernize the site as you have time. The standard web technologies (CSS, PHP, ASP.NET, etc) are so far superior to FP's features that it's worth a little learning curve. It ain't rocket science, so don't be afraid to try it. After all, there really is no alternative, going forward.

Silence is Golden. Duct tape is Silver.
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 10:41 PM
  • Just adding, in addition to the false information about the Navigation View,

"Of course she also told me EW4 comes with "90 days of free technical support," which turned out to be posting in this forum :-/"

We are not MS technical support.  Saying you have 90 days of free technical support, then sending you here, is simply nonsensical.  If you are buying through some channel that provides 90 days free MS technical support, they should tell you how to get it.

No idea who MS pre-sales is, but goodness, they don't seem to know what they are talking about.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:02 AM
  • Wow! Four replies in less than 24 hours! Thank you all!

1) I am already in the situation that Paladyn describes: I can no longer post new pages to my Website using FP2000.

2) So I must now move on to EW4, but I do not know how to proceed.

3) My Website has about 2,000 separate pages of outdoor skills.

4) I get about 10,000 page hits a day.

5) My technical understanding of computers and the Internet is very low.  For instance, I have no idea of what strings of letters mean, such as "CSS, PHP, ASP."

6) I do have a new unused server on which I can experiment with "migrating" from FP2000 to EW4 without damaging my main Website.

7) I found an article "Expression Web for FrontPage Users" http://expression.microsoft.com/en-us/dd326841.aspx?ppud=4 which is probably the place to start, although it is written for FP2003 users.  I don't know how that differs from FP2000.

8) The process looks like a total nightmare.  Do I understand correctly that I must examine the html of all 2,000 pages in a text editor?  For example:

"The easiest way to dive into semantic markup is to start from scratch.

1. Take one of your web pages and paste all of the content into a text file in a text editor (such as Notepad). "

9) Is this article the place to start?  I'd appreciate the guidance and/or war stories that anyone has to offer.

Thanks again to everyone!

Thursday, September 30, 2010 4:22 PM
  • May I suggest you spend time with the resources in the Before Posting sticky, especially the Basic Website tutorial. It is very good that you have a plac eyou can experiment with and even do a parallel site during the migration before going live. Pat & Tina as part of the FrontPage migration tutorials & ebook they have (might be very useful to you) recommend making a couple of back-ups including one archival copy that is read only before you begin. http://www.frontpage-to-expression.com/

Try out the new expressionwebforum.com

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 4:33 PM