LD3D - Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am glad to see a 3D extension for SmallBasic, well done Litdev, keep up the good work.

I am having some trouble with the example and some other tests provided in another post. I have followed your instructions for installation, the program runs for a couple of seconds then comes to a halt and closes down.

After running the following example:

TextWindow.Left = 0
    LD3D.Setup("False", "Pink")
    cube = LD3D.AddCube()
    LD3D.SetTexture(cube, Program.Directory+"\media\wall.bmp")
    LD3D.SetPosition(cube,0,0,20)
    LD3D.AnimateRotation(cube,360/200,360/100,360/1000)
    LD3D.Start()

I get the message in the textwindow that the program cannot access LitDev3D32.dll as its currently being used by another program.

What could be causing this? I have closed all processes by shuting down and restarting and it says this on the first run of the program.

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 12:33 AM

Answers

• This does seem to be the issue that Rene saw.  In a couple of weeks when I get back to my home PC with source code I can set up some tests for you to try.  In the meantime I don't have any idea really - the warning output are not the cause of the problem I think.  Nothing would happen at all if it din't find LitDev3D32.dll.  Something in the update loop is dying in irrlicht.  I haven't added much here beyond the basic stuff they have in their samples so it may be to do with OpenGL, graphics card versions or something that I have done.

As I say, when I get back to the source code I can create a very stripped back version to test, or even some of the irrlicht samples to start with.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:08 AM

All replies

• It appears I am having the same issues as Rene.

I tried a few more tests.

TextWindow.Left = 0
    LD3D.Setup("False", "White")
    LD3D.Start()

This would crash still after a couple of seconds, once the FPS is updated within the title.

TextWindow.Left = 0
    LD3D.Setup("False", "White")
    'LD3D.Start()

This would print all the debug information within the textwindow and stay open untill another key is pressed.

I think the issue is coming from your LD3D.Start() function. I will search the Irrlicht forums to see if anyother people have a similar issue.

• Edited by Mainchip Tuesday, October 9, 2012 12:55 AM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 12:55 AM
  • I am having the same issues as you, Mainchip.

I am a 10 year old that loves math, games, and computers. "Everyone is potentially great, you just have to turn it into kinetic greatness."

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:04 AM
  • This does seem to be the issue that Rene saw.  In a couple of weeks when I get back to my home PC with source code I can set up some tests for you to try.  In the meantime I don't have any idea really - the warning output are not the cause of the problem I think.  Nothing would happen at all if it din't find LitDev3D32.dll.  Something in the update loop is dying in irrlicht.  I haven't added much here beyond the basic stuff they have in their samples so it may be to do with OpenGL, graphics card versions or something that I have done.

As I say, when I get back to the source code I can create a very stripped back version to test, or even some of the irrlicht samples to start with.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:08 AM
  • There is supporting evidense that the 32 bit version of the LitDev 3D dlls are at fault - so best not use these just now.
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:11 AM
  • So you are not sure if you use the Irrlicht-Engine in the end? Do you know Gamebryo-NetImmerse-Engine?

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo )

I don't want to say: "take this engine it's good" but something else:

Maybe you know one or more of the Elder-Scrolls-Games. But I don't mean skyrim nor oblivion... I'm talking about Morrowind's TES-Construction-Set, where you can just drag'n drop Meshes into the Editor-Window, attach them scripts, written in a very basic language with probably less keywords than Small Basic has, add them a few dialoges and can play. (But don't look at oblivion or what followed, that's way to complex... )

Morrowind is over 10 years old, I know. If MS would create such a thing - probably an all-in-one-basic-directx-package with terrain & mesh-editor, built-in-sound-recording-studio and easy-to-learn-language- germans would say: the "egg-laying-wool-milk-sow" - the company would not just earn a lot of bucks, but win a lot of new friends...

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:28 AM
  • I gave him some other engines too, but he knows why he doesn't use them. It is pretty simple. He needs a COMPATIBLE source code of the engine!

Greetings Timo

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 9:51 AM
  • Thanks Litdev, I will try the 64bit dll later and let you know if that works.

Guys just to make it clear Litdev is not part of Microsoft and has probably chosen Irrlicht as its very popular and has great support.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 11:15 AM
  • It throws two exceptions for me.

One thing that is impossible is impossible no matter if it is proven so first.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:11 PM
    Answerer