none
Upgrading to ReportViewer v9 RRS feed

• Question

• I've just done a test upgrade of my ASP.NET v2 application to ASP.NET v3.5. The upgrade wizard worked pretty well but it didn't upgrade the report viewer from v8 to v9. I've made some manual changes to web.config and the page containing a reference to the report viewer and it appears to work. I've got a new print button :-)

Is there anything else I need to do? Do the RDLC files have the same format or do they need upgrading?

Also, is there a reference anywhere describing the new features in ReportView v9.0.0.0?

Finally, is v9.0.0.0 the latest version? IE8 had trouble with the report viewer when my project was based on the v8 (VS2005) version. Not tried it yet on v9...

Cheers, Rob.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:38 PM

Answers

• The steps you took to upgrade the control are correct, the VS Project upgrade wizard does not upgrade references for the ReportViewer control you have to do it manually. Also the RDLC files are the same between VS 2005 and VS 2008 they are both based on the RDL 2005 schema so there is no upgrade there.

As far as new features in the VS 2008 control you can refer to the VS 2008 What's New here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386063.aspx#report0702

To answer your last question the VS 2008 (9.0) version of the control is currently the latest version, we are working on the next release of the control that will ship in the Dev10 Beta 2 timeframe.

Matt Meyer - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:41 PM

All replies

• The steps you took to upgrade the control are correct, the VS Project upgrade wizard does not upgrade references for the ReportViewer control you have to do it manually. Also the RDLC files are the same between VS 2005 and VS 2008 they are both based on the RDL 2005 schema so there is no upgrade there.

As far as new features in the VS 2008 control you can refer to the VS 2008 What's New here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386063.aspx#report0702

To answer your last question the VS 2008 (9.0) version of the control is currently the latest version, we are working on the next release of the control that will ship in the Dev10 Beta 2 timeframe.

Matt Meyer - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:41 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification and link. I've bookmarked and will have a read later.

Wasn't actually looking for any additional functionality as compared to Crystal Reports (which I've battled with for many years), the report viewer is a triumph of simplicity.

I actually think the v9 reportviewer works okay with IE8. Just need to do a few tests on a real IIS server.

Cheers, Rob.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:44 PM
  • hi,

I'm facing some issue when create the installation setup files after i convert my app from vs2005 to vs2008.
    i have manually change the reference to new report viewer dll which is the version 9.

I can debug my app without any issue in my local computer.

but when i create the setup installation files to deploy my windows app. it will detect both the version 8 and version 9 report viewer DLL when add in the exe.

i try to exclude the version 8 and compile.

i'm facing problem to preview my report when use the installer to install my windows app in a new computer.
    it shows me that the exe cannot load the assemble information for report viewer dll for version 8

how to solve it ?

Gan
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 9:59 AM