none
Get Meeting Workspace back to Outlook 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I need to enable Meeting Workspace pane in the Meeting window of the Outlook 2013.

I know button was removed but pane is still fully functional - you can open existing email with meeting workspace item and when you remove it, you can create new one as well. So I need to get this pane back in clear email. Unfortunately I know nothing about developing for Office :( Can you please point me to the right direction?

• Edited by john.pea Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:14 PM updated to more specific title
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 4:35 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You can customize the set of buttons available in the Outlook window using the Outlook Options dialog:

If you are going to develop a VBA macro see Getting Started with VBA in Outlook 2010 and Getting Started with VBA in Office 2010. But if you are going to create a COM add-in (VSTO based) you can read more about this in the Managed add-ins built with Visual Studio (VSTO) section in MSDN, see  Outlook Solutions .

Finally, the current forum is for developers. I'd recommend asking non-programming questions in the Outlook IT Pro Discussions or Microsoft Community forums instead.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 5:00 PM
  • Hi Eugene.

Thank you for your response.

I can't see meeting workspace in your dialog and mine is even different.

Are you referring to Outlook 2013?

I expect this to be possible only by programming of some kind but I don't know Outlook object model, VBA or VSTO so I don't really know which way to go and where to look.

So far I haven't found anything usable on msdn in regard to meeting workspace.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 6:14 PM
  • Could you please take a screenshot of the pane you are interested in?
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 6:23 PM
  • Of course.

This is from Outlook 2013.

It's available when I open the meeting with workspace invitation created in Outlook 2010.

If I remove it, I can create a new one, so the functionality is still there, I just cannot enable it for new meeting.

I know I'm not the only one who needs this and Microsoft made some people angry and frustrated by "removing" this feature

Thursday, May 29, 2014 6:49 PM
  • Hello John,

Please take a look at the The Meeting Workspace button does not appear on the ribbon in Outlook 2010 article.

Also you can use the ExecuteMso method of the CommandBars class for clicking the button programmatically. You just need to pass a valid idMso value of the button. You can find the list of control IDs in the Office 2013 Help Files: Office Fluent User Interface Control Identifiers or Office 2010 Help Files: Office Fluent User Interface Control Identifiers  .   

Thursday, May 29, 2014 7:42 PM
  • Thank you Eugene but still nothing.

I know it's possible to put button back to Outlook 2010 but not to Outlook 2013.

I downloaded identifiers for Outlook 2013 and found only this:

Control Name Control Type Tab Set Tab Group/Context Menu Name Parent Control Secondary Parent Control Tertiary Parent Control Policy ID Column1
    ReplyWithMeeting button None (Core Tab) TabMail GroupMailRespond 19512
    NewNetMeetingPlaceCall button None (Not in the Ribbon) None (Not in the Ribbon) 5644
    NewMeetingRequestCompact button None (Not in the Ribbon) None (Not in the Ribbon) 1754
    NewMeetingRequest2 button None (Not in the Ribbon) None (Not in the Ribbon) 20165
    QuickStepTemplateNewMeeting button None (Core Tab) TabMail GroupQuickSteps QuickStepsGallery QuickStepNewMenu 19501
    NewMeetingHiddenWhenWithAllVisible button None (Core Tab) TabCalendarTableView GroupCalendarNew 21099
    NewMeetingWithAllMenu menu None (Core Tab) TabCalendarTableView GroupCalendarNew 21098

NewMeetingRequestWithAll button None (Core Tab) TabCalendarTableView GroupCalendarNew NewMeetingWithAllMenu 19632

...but none of them seems to be the right one.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:24 PM
  • Try to check out the Panes property of the Explorer class when the pane is visible. There is no other trivial way for accessing/managing the pane.
    Friday, May 30, 2014 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

In the following article, you can find this function is removed from Outlook 2013.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178954(v=office.15).aspx
    Description :The Meeting workspaces feature is removed from Outlook. The entry point commands to create Meeting Workspaces is removed from both the Quick Access Toolbar and the Ribbon.
    Reason for Change: The feature was not widely used.
    Benefits: Allows for a simpler Ribbon experience.

Consider to the above scenario,I suggest you submit feedback to the following website:
    http://office.microsoft.com/suggestions.aspx

Regards,
    Marvin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, May 30, 2014 9:27 AM
  • We have managed to find this control (button I assume) via VBA debugger watches.

This is Outlook 2013.

Can you advise on how to trigger it's action? I hope once we can call this, there will be no problem creating button for it.

• Edited by john.pea Saturday, May 31, 2014 3:14 PM
    Saturday, May 31, 2014 3:13 PM
  • Hello Marvin,

I know it's officially removed but I'm not willing to accept that.

As you see the functionality is still there but it is obstructed.

For many people and companies who used this feature extensively, this reasoning is not valid.

I have submitted a feedback as you suggested.

Saturday, May 31, 2014 3:31 PM
  • You can use the ExecuteMso method of the CommandBars class for simulating clicks programmatically. Note, you need to pass a valid idMso value as a parameter.
    Saturday, May 31, 2014 5:06 PM
  • It's possible to execute the command in Outlook 2010 with VBA, but not in Outlook 2013 :(

The code:

Sub aaa()
        Set myItem = Application.CreateItem(olAppointmentItem)
        myItem.MeetingStatus = olMeeting
        myItem.Display
        myItem.GetInspector.CommandBars.ExecuteMso ("MeetingsWorkspace")
    End Sub

I'm getting run-time error in 2013

As Marvin stated in his post, entry point commands were removed from QuickAccess and Ribbon, so I will not find it there anymore.

Can anyone suggest any other approach on how to trigger that panel on?

UPDATE: Note, that according to this list, there is still imageMso for MeetingsWorkspace present in Outlook 2013 (http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/2/B/42B7A409-3411-464F-B029-6A9D48E93322/imageMso.txt)

• Edited by john.pea Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:51 PM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:37 PM
  • I'm not sure why you'd get that error, it refers to a non-existent string property on an item.

If I try your code with Outlook 2013 I get a bad function call error (5), which is expected as the entry point from the deprecated ribbon button is removed.

You'd have to get the Outlook product group to change the current behavior, I don't see any other way of doing what you want in the UI or code.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:17 PM
  • Well I can still imagine doing this manually in custom addin with SharePoint API. I used to do SharePoint development for a few years but I gave up to keep my mental health ok. Anyway considering I know nothing about Office extensions development and I'm not getting any help from dynamic types in the solution, it could take unfeasibly longer than acceptable
    • Edited by john.pea Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:41 PM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:41 PM
  • Than you for replying Ken,

I have no idea what the error is about, but that code works in Outlook 2010 without problems.

It brings the Meeting Workspace panel to the item's window as expected.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:45 PM
  • I have no doubt it works in 2010, as that function is not deprecated in Outlook 2010. It is deprecated in 2013 however, and you're not going to be able to call it from an imageMso or any other conventional means.

I don't think this will work at all, but you can examine the Panes collection, as Eugene had suggested, and seeing if that pane is exposed at all. If it is you'd need some way to figure out how to activate that pane. You can also check out using Win32 API functions to activate that window if it's there, you can check that using Spy++. Activating the window using the Accessibility API is also possible but again I doubt it will work right.

Unless you can somehow get the product group to reverse the deprecation by providing a compelling business case you're going to have to accept the loss of that functionality. It's only going to be going further away as time goes on.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Friday, June 20, 2014 2:57 PM
  • I was looking for the same functionality in Outlook 2013; it is unfortunate that this function has been completely removed - the official reason provided is a simplified ribbon experience which would have been satisfied by simply not having the button by default in the ribbon; NOT complete pulling the feature!!! 
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 11:16 AM