Redistributing MSSTDFMT.dll RRS feed

• Question

• Our company has several software modules (some are programs, some DLL's) written in VB6.  There are a lot of them and we don't have manpower to port them to .NET.

In the past Windows has shipped with MSSTDFMT.dll, and it was not considered redistributable by Microsoft so when customers didn't have it (usually due to a rogue installer) we pointed them to a round-about process where-by you install an old Microsoft program, which comes with the DLL, then you take it and put it in the right place and register it.

This works, but is clunky, and it looks like Windows 8 does not ship with this DLL.  Now that it doesn't ship with windows can we redistribute it?  It would be so nice to just install the DLL automatically when installing our software.

Note I am not asking for any technical help, just if we can now legally redistribute this DLL.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 6:23 PM

Answers

• This file is part of the VB6 extended runtime. It is listed in the REDIST.TXT on the install media of Visual Studio 6. You need to install Visual Studio 6 and click "accept" in the EULA screen to get redistribution rights. 

Oh, and you should be including the file in your setup program from the beginning, not just starting now. It is not an OS component, you can't assume other apps will always install the file for you.

Visual C++ MVP

Sunday, August 10, 2014 4:47 PM

All replies

• Hi JeremySorensen,

>Now that it doesn't ship with windows can we redistribute it?  It would be so nice to just install the DLL automatically when installing our software.

Setup project usually contains custom action, you can register the DLL file in it. See an example from http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/335516/Custom-Action-in-Visual-Studio-setup-projects.

You can use Bing or Google to choose the right installer to meet your requirement.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. <br/> Click <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?showpage=1&scid=sw%3Ben%3B3559&theme=tech"> HERE</a> to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 6:01 AM
  • As I said in my question, I am not looking for how to redistribute it, I know how to do that.  I am looking to find out if it is now legal to redistribute it.
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 6:15 PM
  • This file is part of the VB6 extended runtime. It is listed in the REDIST.TXT on the install media of Visual Studio 6. You need to install Visual Studio 6 and click "accept" in the EULA screen to get redistribution rights. 

Oh, and you should be including the file in your setup program from the beginning, not just starting now. It is not an OS component, you can't assume other apps will always install the file for you.

Visual C++ MVP

Sunday, August 10, 2014 4:47 PM
  • It is listed in the REDIST.TXT

I spent a long time researching this and I swear I saw several online resources that claimed that you can't redistribute this file.  I even found several places that recommended the procedure I described for letting people get the file legally.  However I just searched redist.txt and sure enough there is the file.  At least it won't be a problem going forward.

Thanks for the help.

Monday, August 11, 2014 4:10 PM