workflow, multiple pieces and emails RRS feed

• Question

• i ahve read many posts but for some reason i cant get my workflow to work.  company wants to request IT services.  When the request is created it goes to their department head, from there it goes to the IT Budget person, from there it goes to the IT support guy to do the action requested.  I am using sharepoint designer 2007 with MOSS. (nothing else)

STEP 1
    Condition If N code = N6
    Action = email MR. X

Condition else if N Code = N 6  ( i left this blank and recieved error)
    Action Pause for 5 min

Condition=Else if Ncode equals N6
    Action=log "Xfactor" to the workflow History

STEP 2
    Action IF N6 Director =  approves
    Action - email MRS Y

Condition same as step 1
    Action

Condition Same as Step 2
    Action

currently i never get the email from step 2.  once i get this firgured out i need to build this for approved and denied conditions and an email for each one.

there are 3 approval processes and last email tells IT department to do the action requested.

can someone help???

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 7:36 PM

All replies

• I'm confused by your conditions and actions.

On step 1, it looks like you have:

If N code = N6
    Action

Else if N code = N6
    Action

Else if N code = N6
    Action

Is there a reason why you've repeated the condition three times in step 1, or am I missing something?

In Step 2, how are you gathering approval? Is the user updating a field on a list? Why are the following conditions and actions the same as step 1? 

Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:07 PM
  • i am new to workflows... at first i had

Step 1
    Condition if n code = n6
    Action email MR X

Step 2

If N Code Director = Approves
    Email MRS Y

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

here is the request

Ncode>
    summary of request>
    Description
    N CODE Approval> " yes or no "
    Mr X Approval> approved send directly to IT SUPPORT, Send to MRS Y for Approval, Denied send back to originator
    Mrs Y Approval> Approved Send to IT SUPPORT, Denied send back to originator.
    IT SUPPORT> completed, not able to complete

so i have to create steps for all possible selections in the list.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:20 AM
  • Wednesday, March 23, 2011 3:14 AM
  • ok, if you use the Flow Chart you sent.  take that flow chart and add a few more approval chains.

Originator wants a new computer - email first line manager

First line managers can say yes or no.  IF yes email next in line manager

2nd manager if he says no - email originator denied
                        if he says yes - email Director

If director says no- email originator denied
                   says yes - email IT SUPPORT and tell them to complete the task

IT SUPPORT - COMPLETED - email originator completed
                         CANNOT COMPLETE - email originator, director, etc CANNOT COMPLETE (AND WHY

should something like this be multiple workflows? do they need to ahve a PAUSE? (not sure what the pause does) do they need information sent to history?(not sure what that does)

right now when a user creates a ticket the first email is sent out to the 1st line manager.... when the 1st line manager aprroves or denies, no email is sent.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:17 AM
  • I understand what you're trying to accomplish, but what specific actions in SharePoint Designer are you using for this? Are you just using the "send an email" action, or are you using one of the actions from the link I provided, such as "collect data from user"? 

Please explain how the managers are emailed and how they approve. 

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:27 PM
  • like i said, i am new to Work flows. i was attempting to have emails sent every time someone modified the list.

not sure wht collect data from user means or how it works.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:51 PM
  • "Collect data from users" is explained in the link I provided. The link I shared explains how you can use SharePoint Designer to create and assign a task for a user to approve or reject something.

I'm trying to understand what you've created in your workflow so far. In step 1, you said it sends an email. Is this email a simple email with text? Is a task assigned to the first line manager? Is the first line manager instructed to update the request in SharePoint?

In your step 2, how are you checking if the manager approved or not? 

Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:38 AM
  • my take was SIMPLE is BETTER. i could be wrong. i am up for any suggestions!!!!

so every time an action is made an email (simple email with URL and info from list)

the email tells the action officers there is a ticket in sharepoint waiting for their approval.

the action officer selects the URL to access the task in sharepoint, from there they make their decision and that decision should kick off another email.

here is KM request

When ticket is created:

Ticket created - send originator email

N-Code - generate an email to the director

Approval process:

N-Code approval - if deny email originator // if approved email Mr. T
    MR T - if sent to CTR/ACTR - send an email to Chris and Willis

-if sent to KC - send an email to Mr.x
             - if deny send to originator

Mr X       - If approve - send email to CTR\ACT Chris\Willis
             - if deny send email to originator

CTR\ACTR - completed send email to originator

- cannot complete send email to originator

Thursday, March 24, 2011 11:26 AM
  • follow up, i do not see the option to create custom workflow.  when i create a workflow i do not see the ASPX document mentioned on the website you provided.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:27 PM
  • You're right. Simple is better, but I'm just trying to understand what you did in SharePoint and what you did in SharePoint Designer. You haven't given any specifics in regards to your actions or the process. 

It sounds like you're using a single list in SharePoint for this process, correct?

I'm also assuming that in order to create a "ticket", a user must go to a SharePoint list and add a new item. Am I following you so far?

So, once that item is added, the workflow kicks off and sends an email instructing the approver to open that item from a list and update the ticket, correct? Can you explain in more detail what the user does to approve? 

Also, how does each manager approve? Are they updating different fields in the item? Please explain in detail how they approve?

Friday, March 25, 2011 4:25 AM
  • you are right on the money.

single list, new request creates ticket.  once ticket is created the firts email is sent to the designated N code letting htem know there is a task waiting for them to approve.  once the n-code approves or denies it sends an email to the next party involved.  the way these actions are doen is via drop down selection associatd to their field.

manager 1: drop down approve or deny

so each manager field has a drop down for them to choose from

Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:23 PM
  • So your workflow runs correctly when the new item is entered. Does the workflow run again after the first manager edits the item to approve or reject the item?
    Friday, April 1, 2011 4:17 AM