none
Why is it that when I map a map a solution and then pull the solution down, that it doesn't get everything?

Question

• This question involves both Visual Studio 2015 and TFS 2013. I'm not really sure where the problem lies, whether with VS or TFS. If this is the wrong forum, please forgive me for posting it here.

We're really having a irritating problem when developing with VS 2015 and using TFS 2013. Each time when one my co-developers or I creates a new solution/project in VS 2015, and then checks it into TFS, then whenever someone else maps the location to some local drive on their system, and then brings it all down, it consistently doesn't get references necessary in order to run. Why is that?

For example, we just had a Skype call because we're not all located in the same place. One of my colleagues had worked on a new WPF app to use as an example that he wanted to share with the rest of the team. He had checked it into TFS yesterday. The rest of us got into VS, opened up the Source Control Explorer, found the solution/project, then mapped a location locally and did a Get Latest. When I tried to run it I immediately got 145 errors, all related to the ModernUI for WPF and MVVM Light. I have both installed on my system, but more important than that, I really thought they'd be a part of the whole solution. Why is it, then when I did a Get Latest on the solution, these two are left out? All of the errors are one of two types:

"The type or namespace name 'FirstFloor' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)"

Or

"The type or namespace name 'GalaSoft' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)"

Just over the different files that the first team member had worked on.

So, why are we getting these errors? Why doesn't VS get them when pulling them down from TFS?

Rod

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 9:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Rod,

Thanks for your post.

From the error message you offered:

>>"The type or namespace name 'FirstFloor' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)"
    >>"The type or namespace name 'GalaSoft' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)"

I think the problem is probably the reference “'FirstFloor'” and 'GalaSoft' which were not checked into the TFS.

So in your VS. It can’t find these two reference.

In this case. One idea is that you could add the 'GalaSoft' and 'FirstFloor' reference in your VS manually.

Or you could ask him to add these two reference into the project then check the project into the TFS again.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, December 17, 2015 6:28 AM