none
Web or Windows Application is better RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I would like to ask a question form the experts in here.

1. Everyone want to go for web applications and coporate portals.

Why this ?.

2. Web applications are more powerfull than winform applications ?

3. Is there any benifit other than deplyment and centralise updates  ?

4. With Ajax is it still platform independent ?

5. Is it worth to sacrifies the strenth of the winform application ?

Appritiate any help full comments to clear my dummy thoughts in my mind.

Cheers,

Amal

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 10:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Amal,

I'll try to answer your queries....

Why this ?.

I think you're already aware of 2 of the most important reasons: maintenance and deployment.

Those two reasons are not minor.... if you think in a huge enterprise with 100s of offices and 1000s of users, being able to modify an application without requiring to deploy it for each user is very cost-effective.

Besides, a web application has no additional requirements on users environment (no framework needs to be installed, no special SDK, etc...) apart from a web browser. Also, users do not need high performance on their computers as the resource-insensive operations can be done by servers (db queries for example).

Those are some of the reasons.... we may find even more...... and of course there're many disadvantages too.

It depends on what you mean with "powerful".

Both models have its weaknesses and strengths.... on UI experience winforms applications (specially WPF applications) are more powerfull than HTML web pages.... on maintainability a web application is obviously more powerful.

Depending on some specific scenarios:

Security, Portability, Availability, Supportability.

Yes.

It depends.

If you're building an application that will be used by 100,000 users around the world and you're planning to deliver it on incremental iterations.... or you already now several changes will be required over time for this application.... deployment and maintenace will be an issue for you.

You the application you're developing requires an impressive UI with grear responsiveness and graphics including drag and drop, animations, real-time status and task progress.... and you're planning to develop a one-time product then the winform/wpf application fits better for those requirements.

So whether it worth or not.... it depends (as always) on the requirements and business scenarios for the application. This will drive all these technical decisions that of course have different trade-offs.

What it may be a great decision for an application X may be very unappropiate for application B.

Hope it helps,

Rodrigo

Monday, December 17, 2007 2:26 AM
  •  Amal De Silva wrote:

Hi ,

Why this ?.

Cheers,

Amal

1. I don't think that is the case.  As mentioned earlier - in the late 1990s corporate management thought that it would cut down on costs.  However management and systems administrators have discovered that this is not the case.  The promise of a web-spreadsheet/document authoring/accounting/gaming has failed to deliver its promise. 
    2. Whilst the web (and I refer to HTML only) are great for viewing web pages/shopping/web mail they are no where as sophisticated as their native counterparts.  The web is very 'clicky', slow and does not provide immediate or realtime feedback.  Developers have had to resort to Java, ActiveX, Flash, Ajax or Silverlight.  Whilst all these technologies are quite good some don't go as far.
    3. I would highly recommend automatic updates regardless of whether your application is web or not.  Automatic updates are not an exclusive of HTML.
    4. I believe so
    5. Depends on what your application does.  Just because it goes onto the Internet does not mean it has to be HTML.  Online Gaming for example are generally written in c++. 
    Sunday, December 23, 2007 1:51 PM
  • hello Amal,

Please find my comments in line

Why this ?.

Because of alot of reason imagin that you have a company with 100 Emp. and you want them all to use your application to do something how complex it is to install it on all these machines

Imagine that you have different type of users won't it be so complex for you to develop a separte application for each person who is looking for a part of these

Ease of access from every where with web application you can access your application for every where with use an internet browser.

Platform independent , If you have linex and windows in the same environment what will you do.

for all these I think you know why web applications are what everyone talks about

No Each one has it's own weakness and benifits but based on your environment you know what is best for you You need to ask your self some questions before you start developing your applications

1. do I have more than I kind of OS in this environment ?

2. Do yours needs to access this application from outside there environment

3. number of PCs in the environment sometimes this is something critical to think of

4. types of users

based on the above you decide your own rule of the application

I think I included my answer in the above points

Actually With Ajax is more platform independent more than anything else Smile

As I told you before it's your call to decide

I hope I was helpful enough

Friday, January 4, 2008 9:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Amal,

I'll try to answer your queries....

Why this ?.

I think you're already aware of 2 of the most important reasons: maintenance and deployment.

Those two reasons are not minor.... if you think in a huge enterprise with 100s of offices and 1000s of users, being able to modify an application without requiring to deploy it for each user is very cost-effective.

Besides, a web application has no additional requirements on users environment (no framework needs to be installed, no special SDK, etc...) apart from a web browser. Also, users do not need high performance on their computers as the resource-insensive operations can be done by servers (db queries for example).

Those are some of the reasons.... we may find even more...... and of course there're many disadvantages too.

It depends on what you mean with "powerful".

Both models have its weaknesses and strengths.... on UI experience winforms applications (specially WPF applications) are more powerfull than HTML web pages.... on maintainability a web application is obviously more powerful.

Depending on some specific scenarios:

Security, Portability, Availability, Supportability.

Yes.

It depends.

If you're building an application that will be used by 100,000 users around the world and you're planning to deliver it on incremental iterations.... or you already now several changes will be required over time for this application.... deployment and maintenace will be an issue for you.

You the application you're developing requires an impressive UI with grear responsiveness and graphics including drag and drop, animations, real-time status and task progress.... and you're planning to develop a one-time product then the winform/wpf application fits better for those requirements.

So whether it worth or not.... it depends (as always) on the requirements and business scenarios for the application. This will drive all these technical decisions that of course have different trade-offs.

What it may be a great decision for an application X may be very unappropiate for application B.

Hope it helps,

Rodrigo

Monday, December 17, 2007 2:26 AM
  •  Amal De Silva wrote:

Hi ,

Why this ?.

Cheers,

Amal

1. I don't think that is the case.  As mentioned earlier - in the late 1990s corporate management thought that it would cut down on costs.  However management and systems administrators have discovered that this is not the case.  The promise of a web-spreadsheet/document authoring/accounting/gaming has failed to deliver its promise. 
    2. Whilst the web (and I refer to HTML only) are great for viewing web pages/shopping/web mail they are no where as sophisticated as their native counterparts.  The web is very 'clicky', slow and does not provide immediate or realtime feedback.  Developers have had to resort to Java, ActiveX, Flash, Ajax or Silverlight.  Whilst all these technologies are quite good some don't go as far.
    3. I would highly recommend automatic updates regardless of whether your application is web or not.  Automatic updates are not an exclusive of HTML.
    4. I believe so
    5. Depends on what your application does.  Just because it goes onto the Internet does not mean it has to be HTML.  Online Gaming for example are generally written in c++. 
    Sunday, December 23, 2007 1:51 PM
  • hello Amal,

Please find my comments in line

Why this ?.

Because of alot of reason imagin that you have a company with 100 Emp. and you want them all to use your application to do something how complex it is to install it on all these machines

Imagine that you have different type of users won't it be so complex for you to develop a separte application for each person who is looking for a part of these

Ease of access from every where with web application you can access your application for every where with use an internet browser.

Platform independent , If you have linex and windows in the same environment what will you do.

for all these I think you know why web applications are what everyone talks about

No Each one has it's own weakness and benifits but based on your environment you know what is best for you You need to ask your self some questions before you start developing your applications

1. do I have more than I kind of OS in this environment ?

2. Do yours needs to access this application from outside there environment

3. number of PCs in the environment sometimes this is something critical to think of

4. types of users

based on the above you decide your own rule of the application

I think I included my answer in the above points

Actually With Ajax is more platform independent more than anything else Smile

As I told you before it's your call to decide

I hope I was helpful enough

Friday, January 4, 2008 9:35 PM