Open app with shortcut name aka auto launching according to protocol RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to have a shortcut of my developed App on the desktop.

As an example: If I add a shortcut to "bingtravel:" it opens the Bing Travel App. Or if I open Win+R and type in "bingtravel:" it also opens the App. How can I specify such a short name to my App?

regards

Edit: in the control center of Windows you can assign file extensions and protocols to certain programms. Under protocols I can find preinstalled Windows 8 Store Apps but not my own-developed App that is installed...

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Johann,

You aren't looking at shortcuts there. It is not possible to create a shortcut to a Windows Store App. As Matt suggested, you can define the app to handle specific protocols or file type so the app will open to handle such files or protocols if the user launches them. This capability needs to be implemented in the app when it is written. See Auto-launching with file and URI associations for information on how to do so.

--Rob

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:09 PM

All replies

• You can't have a direct shortcut to your application, but if you register your app as the default application for a particular file extension, it should open up your app.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:55 PM
  • Thanks for your answer Matt. Just to get sure if I understand correctly.... I created a new file on my desktop named "myApp.foobar". So the file extension is foobar. If I double click the file i could register an application for this filetype. But where do I find my Windows Store App that i want to assign? I can't select the .exe of my App...
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:57 PM
  • Hi Johann,

You aren't looking at shortcuts there. It is not possible to create a shortcut to a Windows Store App. As Matt suggested, you can define the app to handle specific protocols or file type so the app will open to handle such files or protocols if the user launches them. This capability needs to be implemented in the app when it is written. See Auto-launching with file and URI associations for information on how to do so.

--Rob

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:09 PM