[UWP]When to move to Universal App Win10 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Dear all,

I am currently developping a WinRt application for a Customer that should be release for end of Jully. So far I have started based on Windows 8.1.

Does it means it is better to start the application dev right away Under win10 universall App ?

If yes, how can I be sure that Win10 will be ready fr my release date ?

regards

Friday, May 22, 2015 6:19 AM

All replies

• I don't think it's a good plan to target win10 just yet.

Estimate release is end of July.

That could maybe slide.

Your customer might be planning on upgrading to win10 but are they really going to upgrade instantly?

Hope that helps.

Technet articles: WPF: Change Tracking; All my Technet Articles

Friday, May 22, 2015 8:13 AM
  • >>Does it means it is better to start the application dev right away Under win10 universall App ?

Probably not if the release date for your application is already set and fixed. You will still be able run Windows 8.1 apps on Windows 10 and you can always port your app to Windows 10 later. Also, you probably don't know exactly when your customer will upgrade to Windows 10 so I would stick with Windows 8.1 for the initial release.

>>If yes, how can I be sure that Win10 will be ready fr my release date ?

You cannot because there is no official release date yet.

Please remember to mark helpful posts as answer to close the thread and then start a new thread if you have a new question. Please don't ask several questions in the same thread.

Friday, May 22, 2015 9:19 AM
  • Hello Andy,

The issue is not coming from my customers but more on the Tablet Surface on the market.

SO far tablet you by are coming with WinRT 8, so I build a Win 8.1 app

Then if in september for instance my Customer by a tablet with Win10, does my Windows 8.1 store app will work on it ?

Friday, May 22, 2015 11:11 AM
  • Hello Markus,

If I build a WinRt store app Windows 8.1, does my app on the store will be able to be downloadable and working on Windows 10 tablet ?

Friday, May 22, 2015 11:13 AM
  • Hello Markus,

If I build a WinRt store app Windows 8.1, does my app on the store will be able to be downloadable and working on Windows 10 tablet ?

Short answer: Yes.

Windows 8.1 apps won't stop working when upgrading to Windows 10.

Please remember to mark all helpful posts as answer to close the thread and then start a new thread if you have a new question. Please don't ask several questions in the same thread.

Friday, May 22, 2015 11:15 AM
  • good
    Friday, May 22, 2015 11:30 AM