none
csproj (load Failed) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

With VS 2012 on Windows 8 and Office 2010, I'm receiving a failure when opening up my VS Word AddIn Solution stating:

<project>.csproj : error : Specified cast is not valid.

And under the Solution Explore, that project says <project> (load failed)

and when I expand the project, it says:

The project requires user input.  Reload the project for more information.

and when I right click the project in solution explorer and select "Reload Project" it says:

A project with that name is already opened in the solution.

Now I've been running this solution on a Windows 8 machine with Office 2013 for months now (and it still runs just fine).  I just copied it to a second machine to do some debugging on Office 2010 and can't get around this error.  Anyone know what I'm running into??

Thanks ahead of time.

WordRake

Monday, May 20, 2013 8:49 PM

Answers

• Okay,

So this came down to a missing component.  I needed to install:  Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012.  Once that was installed, the project loaded just fine.

WordRake

• Marked as answer by WordRake Thursday, May 30, 2013 9:59 PM
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 9:59 PM

All replies

• Hi WordRake,

I'm glad to hear that your issue has been resolved.

Thank you for sharing your solution which is very helpful to other community members.

Have a nice day.

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:21 AM
  • Well,

I removed the answer, as the answer is not the answer.  I've switch this second machine to Office 2013 and I'm still getting the error.  So, anyone with any thoughts would be appreciated.  The conditions outlined in the original post are still in effect, with the change that I've uninstalled Office 2010 and installed Office 2013 and the problem did NOT go away.  Humpf.

Thanks, WordRake

Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Hi All,

An update.  I've now gotten the same problem on a third machine.  I've tried reviewing the Visual Studio Log (devenv.exe /log) but there is absolutely no indication as to a problem in the log file ActivityLog.xml.  This is really bizarre and becoming critical, as I can only get the solution to open successfully on one machine.  Any ideas or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

WordRake

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 8:33 PM
  • Okay,

So this came down to a missing component.  I needed to install:  Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012.  Once that was installed, the project loaded just fine.

WordRake

• Marked as answer by WordRake Thursday, May 30, 2013 9:59 PM
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 9:59 PM
  • I met the same problem, and I solved it by deleting the .suo file. Hope it works for you
    • Proposed as answer by jbtibor Friday, July 4, 2014 3:59 PM
    Monday, May 26, 2014 1:01 AM
  • To me it happened when I renamed a folder. The error in VS output window was that file in location can't be found. The weird thing was that the path in solution explorer was correct i.e. I could right click and edit the project file.

It turns out that suo file caches the project path so the solution was to delete the suo file.

Friday, July 4, 2014 4:01 PM