Redistributable? RRS feed

• Question

• Whats the difference between "Net Framework 3.5" and "Net Framework 3.5 Redistributable?" I want to upgrade to Net Framework 3.5 and am not sure which one I need to download. Thanks for any help!
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:27 AM

Answers

• The full ".NET Framework 3.5" includes features needed for .NET software development, whereas the ".NET Framework 3.5 Redistributable" includes only the features needed to support users of software made to use the .NET Framework. So, if you are a developer, you will need the full framework. If not, the redistributable should work for you.

That said, having the full framework won't hurt you if you are not a developer. It will just use additional disc space for things you won't need. One more point. If you are not a developer, there is really no need to install additional frameworks yourself, as any new software you install that requires a newer framework will take care of framework installation as part of the software installation process.

• Marked as answer by Larcolais Gong Thursday, August 19, 2010 10:02 AM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:33 PM
  • Hi CompuGuy,

I’m glad to see you here!

Pvdg42’s reply is great!

Based on your concern, I would provide some information with you.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0, and includes .NET Framework 2.0 service pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.0 service pack 1.

Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5 Redistributable includes everything you need to test .NET Compact Framework 1.0, 2.0 and 3.5 applications.

About more information .net framework 3.5 and .net framework 3.5 Redistributable, you could refer the following link.

The following links talk about the different of two versions of .net framework 3.5.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=333325fd-ae52-4e35-b531-508d977d32a6

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=e3821449-3c6b-42f1-9fd9-0041345b3385

Hope this helps you!

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 7:28 AM

All replies

• The full ".NET Framework 3.5" includes features needed for .NET software development, whereas the ".NET Framework 3.5 Redistributable" includes only the features needed to support users of software made to use the .NET Framework. So, if you are a developer, you will need the full framework. If not, the redistributable should work for you.

That said, having the full framework won't hurt you if you are not a developer. It will just use additional disc space for things you won't need. One more point. If you are not a developer, there is really no need to install additional frameworks yourself, as any new software you install that requires a newer framework will take care of framework installation as part of the software installation process.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:33 PM
  • Hi CompuGuy,

I’m glad to see you here!

Pvdg42’s reply is great!

Based on your concern, I would provide some information with you.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0, and includes .NET Framework 2.0 service pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.0 service pack 1.

Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5 Redistributable includes everything you need to test .NET Compact Framework 1.0, 2.0 and 3.5 applications.

About more information .net framework 3.5 and .net framework 3.5 Redistributable, you could refer the following link.

The following links talk about the different of two versions of .net framework 3.5.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=333325fd-ae52-4e35-b531-508d977d32a6

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=e3821449-3c6b-42f1-9fd9-0041345b3385

Hope this helps you!

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 7:28 AM
  • Hi CompuGuy,

I'm writing to follow-up this post. Do the above suggestions help you solve your concerns?

I'm marking this post as Answered. If you have any findings or concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:00 AM