none
How to change the Content Type for an InfoPath application form saved in a SharePoint 2013 Form Library?

Question

• Hi:

We are an OOB shop. 

I have an extensively long InfoPath Application Form published to a Form Library Content Type namely: Construction in SharePoint 2013. The data (submitted application Forms) for FY1617 are collected and are now associated with Construction Content Type InfoPath template.

Thereafter, I updated the Template form with FY1718 changes and inadvertently published the revised template to the same Construction content type. And, then I collected data for FY1718. The new FY1718 submitted Application Forms are also associated with the Construction Content Type but with revised InfoPath Template!

Thus, I have mixed data from two fiscal years under the same content type titled "Construction"! And, when I open FY1617 submitted Application or FY1718 submitted Application, both open with the latest FY1718 template.

I fix this issue: I created separate content types for each year with the pertinent InfoPath Template.

i.e., I have now two content types:

• Construction1617 (with pertinent InfoPath Application Form Template deployed to it)
    • Construction1718 (with pertinent InfoPath Application Form Template deployed to it)

The question is:

Without affecting the data integrity, is it possible to re-associate all the submitted application forms that are currently associated with the “Construction” Content Type to its pertinent Content Types such as Construction1617 or Construction1718 depending on its Fiscal Year? So, that when opened, they open with the right InfoPath template?

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Thank You!

SRAEngineer

• Edited by SRAEngineer Thursday, February 16, 2017 3:58 PM Readability
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 3:56 PM

Answers

• Hi.

You'll need to change the Content Type for each of the submited forms to the new content type first.

This is done through the item properties.

Ed

• Proposed as answer by SRA Engineer Thursday, March 16, 2017 12:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by SRAEngineer Friday, March 17, 2017 11:59 AM
    Monday, March 06, 2017 3:56 PM

All replies

• Hi.

If i'm understanding you, you have currently have the two content types.

1. Manually change the content types the forms (item properties).
    2. In the form library, select the Relink Documents view.
    3. Click the Relink All button on the Files ribbon.

This will go in to each form and change the template URL to match the URL for that content type.

The process can take a while if there are a lot of items in the library.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:07 PM
  • I think I finally understood the steps and found the links that were mentioned in your post.

I just tried to do a test with the following steps:

• I created a test case by submitting a TEST Application with a template saved on Construction1718 Content Type.
    • In the Form Library Site Settings, I changed the default to be Construction Content Type (before it was Construction1718).
    • In the Form Library Site Settings, under Permissions and Management I clicked on "Relink documents to this Library".
    • then in the Relink View that opened, I clicked on the checkbox next to my test case.
    • Clicked on Relink button under Files tab on the same view.
    • Nothing happened apparently. But thought it needed a refresh.
    • So, I closed and reopened the site and tried opening the Test Application.
    • Again, no change seemed to have happened. It still opened in the same template where it was created. The URL did not change....

This methodology perhaps works if the template is not published in different content types (guessing...). Not sure what I am doing wrong. Thanks!

SRAEngineer

Friday, March 03, 2017 6:47 PM
  • Hi.

You'll need to change the Content Type for each of the submited forms to the new content type first.

This is done through the item properties.

Ed

• Proposed as answer by SRA Engineer Thursday, March 16, 2017 12:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by SRAEngineer Friday, March 17, 2017 11:59 AM
    Monday, March 06, 2017 3:56 PM
  • Thank you!

However, Since we did not want users to have an access to changing of the metadata, we have modified Edit form where Content Type is not included and made that modified Edit form as a default form. IN SPD, if I changed back to the original Edit Form to do my content type change as desired, would that affect the existing data?

This is a production environment, where data for the past two years exist.

Thanks,

SRAEngineer

Thursday, March 09, 2017 1:48 PM
  • Hi.

I'm not sure conpletely understand your statement.

You will need to be able to change the content type in order for this to work.  As long as all of the same form elements are promoted, then the promoted columns will be unaffected.

Without knowing the exact contitions of your library, i can only give you necessary steps to attach a different form template to a form data file.

Ed

Thursday, March 09, 2017 6:57 PM
  • Thank you!

SRAEngineer

Friday, March 17, 2017 12:00 PM