WebBrowser Control Click Noise When a Page Loads RRS feed

• Question

• Hey coders,

How do I turn off the clicking noise that the WebBrowser Control makes when it loads a page?

I hope it is possible, because it gets so annoying when you have pages load/refresh on a timer.

Thanks,

John G.

Monday, June 16, 2008 1:30 AM

Answers

• Evening all,

I do know of a key - HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\AppEvents\Schemes. This controls the windows sound schemes, and by changing the (default) value inside this to ".none" (you must include the dot) you disable all the little windows sound effects. To reeanable them, you need to change them back to what they originally were - ie. read the key when you start up the program into x then set it to ".none" when the program is closed, reset the key to x. See http://www.petri.co.il/change_to_no_sounds_sound_scheme_by_default.htm for more info.

Sincerely,

William Andrew

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 12:44 AM

All replies

• Evening all,

I doubt there is a way to turn off the sound by modifying a property of the control, as the sound is part of windows - IE, explorer, etc. will all make the noise. To configure this in win xp (other os, just search in google), go to the control panel (make sure it's in category view) and click "sounds, speech, and audio devices"->"sounds and audio devices"->sounds tab. Then go to the listbox at the bottom of the box and scroll down to "start navigation". Select this this and then open the dropdown box below and select "none" at the top of the list. For more info on doing this in windows xp, go to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/personalize/sounds.mspx

If you require this process to be automated for clients, there will be some registry key you can change from your program. Alternatively, a simpler option - sounds like a job for the mute button!

Sincerely,

William Andrew

Monday, June 16, 2008 7:30 AM
  •  

Thank you for responding to my post.

Can you tell me more about the registry key?  That sounds like my only option-disable it when the program loads, enable it when it quits.

Again, thank you.

John G.

Monday, June 16, 2008 3:23 PM
  • Evening all,

I do know of a key - HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\AppEvents\Schemes. This controls the windows sound schemes, and by changing the (default) value inside this to ".none" (you must include the dot) you disable all the little windows sound effects. To reeanable them, you need to change them back to what they originally were - ie. read the key when you start up the program into x then set it to ".none" when the program is closed, reset the key to x. See http://www.petri.co.il/change_to_no_sounds_sound_scheme_by_default.htm for more info.

Sincerely,

William Andrew

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 12:44 AM
  • I have been looking for a way to load content into a WebBrowser control without the click sound because I use a mini WebBrowser to show status info in my app. I have found a solution that suited my needs, so I thought I would post it here for others that may want to do the same thing.

Normally you would set the DocumentText property to load content, however, simply do the following:

myWebBrowser->Document->OpenNew (true);
            myWebBrowser->Document->Write (text);

This does the same thing, but does NOT have the click sound! YAY Note that OpenNew must be called otherwise Write will just append the content to the document.

I hope this helps other poor souls too. Big Smile

Cheers,
      Carl
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 8:51 PM