When creating a new Site, the default page automatically publishes a major version RRS feed

• Question

• We have an issue where we are using a "Publishing with workflow" template which has been changed to our design but when you create a new site, the blank default page automatically publishes a major version when first created.  This has resulted in blank pages being deployed to the live production site.

We have been told to unpublish the major version and this will stop it from being deployed.  However, when I look at the version history, there is still a major version (along with the draft version after being unpublished) and isn't stopping them from being deployed.  There is no way to delete the major version that is automatically approved / published.

When our site collection was first set up, it was built with a "Publishing" template (without workflow) because, at the time, we didn't need workflow and we did not have this issue.  Then our consultants changed the template to be the "Publishing with workflow" and this started happening.

Is there a fix for this issue?  Does any one know why it would be doing this? 

Also of note is that we only keep all major versions and 2 minor versions of pages.  It has been set up to automatically delete the others. 

Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to my understanding, you don’t wish the default page automatically publishes a major version when creating a new site. In my opinion, it has not overwritten the master page on the site. Seems that as soon as a new version has been published, any updates via a feature will not overwrite. It gives no indication that this has occurred either. I suggest that you should delete the master page from gallery and publish a master page as a major version in SharePoint Designer again. Please have a try.

Best regards
    David Hu

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 1:11 AM
  • We DO NOT want to automatically publish when a site is created. 

I do not understand why this issue would have anything to do with the master page?  Do you mean the site template?

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 1:29 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your sharing post. I suggest that you should check the following points:
    1.        Make sure that add yourself to the Approver’s SharePoint Group.
    2.        Go to site template gallery-> workflow settings, make sure you select “Start this workflow to approve publishing a major version of a item.”
    Please have a try.

Best regards
    David Hu

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:27 AM
  • Thanks for your reply David.

I am in the Approver's group but when I go to "Site Template Gallery > Workflow Settings", the option "start this workflow to approve publishing a major version of an item" is greyed out (cannot be selected).

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:52 AM