Doloto Performance is Awful

Question

• Maybe the tool's results are nice. But i seem to have problems with the tool itself.

1. It generated about 700 Mb of .doloto files during the test run of 30 seconds.
    I've used to have log files of that size during DirectX PIX profiling, but that was somewhat unexpected anyway.
    2. Now i'm sitting here patiently about 30 minutes waiting for 'step 3', which presumably would be awfully long, because time spent updating the logfile textbox is O(n^2) for the number of log messages...

Is there something I might be doing wrong, or this is a known problem?

I've killed the process, and tried again -
    used only one browser window, and set up the proxy manually to that one browser, and repeated. About the same results.

What should I do to, um, get the result faster?

UPD: Killed the application second time, after 50 minutes waiting, because i'm unable to predict how long it will work, and Visual Studio is somewhat sluggish while the CPU is hogged :(
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 6:39 AM

All replies

• What you are describing sounds unusual. How much JavaScript do you have on pages you are profiling, anyway? logfile.doloto will contain a line for every function entry/exit. Have you peeked inside logfile.doloto to see if this looks like what you expect? We have been able to profile facebook and other large sites without this becoming a bottleneck.

-Ben
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:22 AM
  • I'm trying to use Doloto to optimize pages generated using Script#

There is quite a lot of code, actually, most of it is unneeded - that's why i tried to apply Doloto to it.

I estimate about 6 Mb of JS files (uncompressed), 1.5 mb minified, and logfile.doloto does look correct.

Nevertheless, even considering the huge size, all JS runtimes (IE, Opera, Safari) handle them fine, and Doloto stucks :)
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 3:36 PM