How to sort Gridview without rebinding its itemsource?

Question

• Hello,

Currently In my app when any item is selected and user try to sort the gridview item, than the item that was selected get lost as I am rebinding the itemsource.

I am already binding itemsource with ObservableCollection, but still can't find any solution for sorting it without rebinding itemsource

• Edited by zee_patel Tuesday, July 29, 2014 7:50 AM
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 7:27 AM

Answers

• You can always do something like

GridView.SelectedItems.Add(...)

The SelectedItem return value is a list with Read-Only means you can do something with the list but you can not change the list to another one.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:49 AM

All replies

• Why don't you save the selection before rebinding?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:39 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply,

I already tried to do that , the problem is that SelectedItems(Multiple selection is possible) is a read-only property, and I cannot store index values as well because Gridview items are getting sorted.

Is there any other alternative?

• Edited by zee_patel Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:41 AM
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:40 AM
  • Don't save the index, save reference to the objects themselves.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:47 AM
  • Hi Matt,

But Gridview SelectedItems is a Read-Only property, How to apply back that saved object.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:00 PM
  • You can sort items inside ObservableCollection<T> like this:

How to sort an ObservableCollection

But will be better if you find quick sorting algorithm and use it. Because "bubble sorting" is not very fast.
    • Edited by Oleg Kurzov Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:45 PM
  • Hi Oleg,

Thanks for your reply,

But my sorting is quite complex, for e.g. I am first sorting folders(than arranging them by name wise), than files(Arranging them by name wise) , so I am creating to temporary list and after concatenating them I am assigning it back to my observable collection and due to this new reference is assigned and so I need to rebind gridview source again.

Is there any other alternative for this scenario?

Friday, August 1, 2014 9:16 AM
  • No, just re-set ItemsSource.
    Friday, August 1, 2014 10:10 AM
  • You can always do something like

GridView.SelectedItems.Add(...)

The SelectedItem return value is a list with Read-Only means you can do something with the list but you can not change the list to another one.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:49 AM
  • Hi Jamles,

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried that way also, but it is not reflecting in the UI.

I checked  this post, and Seems like SelectedItems Cannot be updated from codebehind after binding.

Is that Correct or I am misunderstanding it.

Friday, August 8, 2014 6:08 AM