Exit Code 259 RRS feed

• Question

• We're seeing a reasonably high number of Tasks complete with an exit code of 259.

The task is a .NET 4.7.1 console application (which we have written ourselves) and we have .NET 4.7.1 installed on the VMs. The task is run as a parameter of cmd /c, so I suspect that the exit code is from cmd rather than our application

I've not been able to find much information on this error code, apart from it suggests that the application is still running. What I can't understand is that if that's the case, why has cmd terminated?

Friday, September 7, 2018 3:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Matthew. Is this a new error that is starting to show up or has it been happening since the start? 
    Monday, September 10, 2018 8:22 PM
  • Hi Micah,

As far as I know it's been happening for a while. We clear up old tasks so I'm not able to go back that far.

It doesn't actually seem to affect the tasks; the application has finished processing what it was meant to. I'm beginning to think that it's because we're using an async Main method, but we can't reproduce it with any consistency to be able to track it down.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:56 PM
  • Thanks for the extra details. Glad to hear at least it is not interfering with the tasks at this point. 

To be able to fully isolate the issue we will likely need access to the backend logs. Do you have the ability to open a technical support ticket? That way we can have an engineer troubleshoot from the backend. 

If you do not have the ability to open a ticket you can email me at AzCommunity@microsoft.com and provide me with your subscriptionID and link to this thread. I can enable one for you. 

Thursday, September 13, 2018 5:18 PM
  • Ticket raised: 118091419009145
    Friday, September 14, 2018 10:54 AM
  • Thanks! I am tracking the ticket now. 
    Friday, September 14, 2018 5:09 PM
  • Hi!

What is the status of this issue?

I've also received this error code (so far once) from a batch task (whose Main is async) in Azure Germany. However, in my case the consequence was serious, since the task, which was part of a larger workflow, was considered as failed by the workflow manager.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 2:44 PM