InfoPath 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I created two forms to use to request two (2) different types of training. We are using MOSS for our Intranet and uploaded the forms to the training site. Here is the problem, before I uploaded the forms they worked fine on my computer. After uploading them to the same location both forms show the same information. I created two (2) links on the main site to each form. The same form opens with both links. Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 10:05 PM

Answers

• Here's a copy/paste of the same answer I gave on my blog to the same question:

"Frank, when you say you created 2 forms, do you mean you created 2 form TEMPLATES? Big difference between the two, so I wanted to make sure. One reason I ask is because you would never UPLOAD a form template. You would only publish a form template, and if you wanted two templates to be used in the same form library, then you’d have to publish them as content types and add the content types to your form library. When doing this, you’d want to be very careful about how you promote the properties, because you’d likely want to share some of the columns, and that requires special attention.

Do you really need two form templates? Could you not have one form template where the user first selects the type of training and is then sent to a view that is specific to that type of training?

I don’t really know what you mean about the forms showing the same information."

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Monday, July 18, 2011 6:01 AM
    Friday, July 8, 2011 1:47 AM
  • What do you mean by that you "uploaded" them?  When you're creating forms in InfoPath you shouldn't upload them to make them available to end users, you need to publish them.  Also, if you are actually publishing them and your publishing to the option of "to a document library" the last form published will overwrite the first one published.  The document library publish only allows 1 form.  You would need to publish your forms as content types instead to have both available on the same document library.  Once published as content types you will need to modify the settings of the document library to "allow management of content types", then add the content types of the forms you published.
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 12:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From your description, I understand that uploading two forms to the same location, they show the same information, if I have any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Do you mean that when choosing “Edit in Browser”, they show the same information? What information in the page, form1, form2 or others?

Does the url like http://server/sites/_layouts/formserver.aspx?XmlLocation=/libraryname/formname.xml&OpenIn=Browser” have any problems? Do the forms on your computer have any changes compared to before uploaded?

Please provide it in more detail.

Thanks,

Thursday, July 7, 2011 11:49 AM
  • What do you mean by that you "uploaded" them?  When you're creating forms in InfoPath you shouldn't upload them to make them available to end users, you need to publish them.  Also, if you are actually publishing them and your publishing to the option of "to a document library" the last form published will overwrite the first one published.  The document library publish only allows 1 form.  You would need to publish your forms as content types instead to have both available on the same document library.  Once published as content types you will need to modify the settings of the document library to "allow management of content types", then add the content types of the forms you published.
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 12:58 PM
  • Here's a copy/paste of the same answer I gave on my blog to the same question:

"Frank, when you say you created 2 forms, do you mean you created 2 form TEMPLATES? Big difference between the two, so I wanted to make sure. One reason I ask is because you would never UPLOAD a form template. You would only publish a form template, and if you wanted two templates to be used in the same form library, then you’d have to publish them as content types and add the content types to your form library. When doing this, you’d want to be very careful about how you promote the properties, because you’d likely want to share some of the columns, and that requires special attention.

Do you really need two form templates? Could you not have one form template where the user first selects the type of training and is then sent to a view that is specific to that type of training?

I don’t really know what you mean about the forms showing the same information."

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Friday, July 8, 2011 1:47 AM