none
Search Engine RRS feed

All replies

• hi,

you're probably looking to use SQL. 

one rudimentary algorithm, though, is to create a binary tree of every 'thing' your user might search and have a pointer to a linked-list for each element in that tree so that your linked-list holds the info for your program to find each instance of that 'thing' in your database...  I don't know what you're working with but if your data is static enough your user can do a search for 'widget B' (for example) and your code traverses the tree find the correct leaf, reads the address of the first element in the Linked-list that has the location of every instance of 'widget B' stored in its fields...

does that help?

BadButBit

Friday, January 18, 2008 12:05 AM
  • If you're using SQL Server, you can use its full text indexing and query against that.

(SQL 2005)

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms142547.aspx 

(SQL2000)

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa172842(SQL.80).aspx

Hope it helps...

-Rich

Friday, January 18, 2008 3:09 AM
  • but i think that this will only search my data at the SQL database how do i ask my program that i write to search for a title of a song in my database or something like that ?
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 8:29 AM
  • Could you provide an example scenario of what you want to do? 

With SQL's full text searching capabilities, you would write a query to search for the title of the song in the database, then return the results as a DataSet (or DataReader) for your program to display it.

I'd like to help, but I am still a little unclear of what you are asking --

Thanks,

-Rich

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 12:50 AM
  • ok... this is what i want to do...
    i have thousands of song title and their details all inside my database and i have wrote a program to catalouge it but every time i am ask to look for a song title and their details i need to scroll down my list box to look for it ...
    so i wanted to create a search engine that will find my song and highlight it inside my list box how do i do this ...
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 8:34 AM