Office Online Server 2016 Licensing RRS feed

Answers

• You don't purchase SA for OOS. You purchase SA for Office client (desktop). When you purchase Office client, you get editing rights. You can only enable editing on OOS once *all* users who use/have access to OOS also are licensed for Office client (you can use SharePoint User Licensing to restrict who has access to OOS, as well).

OOS is in the VLSC under Office client, by the way.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Waqas Sarwar(MVP) Wednesday, November 2, 2016 8:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by lampar Thursday, November 3, 2016 12:38 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 8:27 PM
  • Yes, you can.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by lampar Thursday, November 3, 2016 7:06 PM
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 6:34 PM

All replies

• You don't purchase SA for OOS. You purchase SA for Office client (desktop). When you purchase Office client, you get editing rights. You can only enable editing on OOS once *all* users who use/have access to OOS also are licensed for Office client (you can use SharePoint User Licensing to restrict who has access to OOS, as well).

OOS is in the VLSC under Office client, by the way.

Trevor Seward

• Proposed as answer by Waqas Sarwar(MVP) Wednesday, November 2, 2016 8:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by lampar Thursday, November 3, 2016 12:38 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 8:27 PM
  • thanks a lot for your advise

Please tell me if i can do "save as" to a local folder when we open file from "Open with Excel" with Excel desktop without SA?

Thursday, November 3, 2016 12:38 PM
  • Yes, you can.

Trevor Seward

• Marked as answer by lampar Thursday, November 3, 2016 7:06 PM
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 6:34 PM
  • Hi Trevor,

All the users has Office Desktop license in our organization. We want to enable Coauthoring  for SharePoint documents .

Which license we need to purchase to implement coauthoring? Please help me and what will be cost to purchase the license?

Thursday, November 29, 2018 2:22 PM
  • Coauthoring isn't a separate license.

Trevor Seward

Thursday, November 29, 2018 3:55 PM
  •                  

Thanks Trevor

if there is no licencing how do we enable the users to co-author the documents online using browser ?

We have SharePoint 2016 on-premises installation ,we having several document library with various file format  (.doc,.xls,.ppt)  etc. our main objective is to enable co-authoring for end users ,our users have Office client (desktop) installed in each of their system .

We are able to co-author newer file format such as docx in the client application (desktop). However we are not able to co-author older version in client application (desktop).

We plan to use Office Online Server to enable co-authoring by editing document in online without using client application(Desktop) and co-author in older file formats. 

We are stuck procuring the office online server licences  as we could not find any pricing model .can any of you help us ?

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 11:45 AM
  • You cannot co-author non-XML documents. You must be using DOCX, PPTX, XLSX, etc.

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 3:24 PM