none
strange upcoming name on table - f_F5DA2.......... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Using Access 2013. I am right now running the inbuilt optimizer in Access. When I do that one of the tables is shown by a strange name. I gave it the name "Personal". In the optimizer windows the table is named f_F5DA2 ....._Personal and f_16158......_Personal etc.

On the last row the optimizer suggest me to create a relation between  f_F5DA2...... and Personal

I don't get it

Best // Peter Forss Stockholm and Sigtuna GMT +1.00

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 2:05 PM

Answers

• Question:  is the table  f_F5DA2 ....._Personal actually the same as your table "Personal", or is it a hidden junction table used to support a multivalue field?  Does table Personal contain any multivalue or attachment fields?

Table Personal doesn't contain multivalue field.

But table "Bryggning Torrhumling" and "Bryggning Klarningsmedel" contains multivalue fields, giving the possibility to choose more than one person from the table "Personal"

[Personal is the Swedish word for "Personnel" or "Staff"]

There is 1 counter/ AutoNumber (the primary key)
    2 Long Integer
    1 Number Double
    6 Text (short text)
    2 True/False (Yes/No)
    1 Hyperlink (for Email addresses)

I think that's the explanation.  In a test database, I created a table with a MVF field. I then opened the hidden MSysObjects system table and filtered it for objects of type 1 (local table). In addition to the new table, I also found a table created at the same time with a name constructed similarly to the name you found: "f_" followed by what looks like a string of hexadecimal digits, ending in (for me) "_MVFField" -- "MVFField" being the name of my multivalue field.  This table had its Flags value set to -2146828288.

I then opened my table in design view and deleted the multivalue field.  When I then looked in MSysObjects, the weirdly named table was no longer there.

So I conclude that these tables are used to store the multiple values of the multivalue fields.

Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
    Access tips: www.datagnostics.com/tips.html

• Proposed as answer by Tony---- Wednesday, December 30, 2015 1:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by ForssPeterNova Wednesday, December 30, 2015 6:02 AM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:24 PM

All replies

• Question:  is the table  f_F5DA2 ....._Personal actually the same as your table "Personal", or is it a hidden junction table used to support a multivalue field?  Does table Personal contain any multivalue or attachment fields?

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 4:23 PM

But table "Bryggning Torrhumling" and "Bryggning Klarningsmedel" contains multivalue fields, giving the possibility to choose more than one person from the table "Personal"

2 Long Integer
    1 Number Double
    6 Text (short text)
    2 True/False (Yes/No)

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 9:34 PM

2 Long Integer
    1 Number Double
    6 Text (short text)
    2 True/False (Yes/No)

I think that's the explanation.  In a test database, I created a table with a MVF field. I then opened the hidden MSysObjects system table and filtered it for objects of type 1 (local table). In addition to the new table, I also found a table created at the same time with a name constructed similarly to the name you found: "f_" followed by what looks like a string of hexadecimal digits, ending in (for me) "_MVFField" -- "MVFField" being the name of my multivalue field.  This table had its Flags value set to -2146828288.

I then opened my table in design view and deleted the multivalue field.  When I then looked in MSysObjects, the weirdly named table was no longer there.

So I conclude that these tables are used to store the multiple values of the multivalue fields.

• Proposed as answer by Tony---- Wednesday, December 30, 2015 1:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by ForssPeterNova Wednesday, December 30, 2015 6:02 AM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:24 PM
  • Thanks Dirk!

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 6:03 AM