How to profile metro style app written in C#? RRS feed

• Question

• I played a bit with Windows 8 and tried to profile metro style app written in C# with our profiler. I found out that the profiler is not injected. I tried setting COR_PROFILER and COR_ENABLE_PROFILING in the registry but again the profiler was not injected. I checked Windows Application event log for errors (e.g. EventID 1022) and there were no errors.

Is there something specific about profiling metro style apps?

Regards,

Mihail

UPDATE: My post was moved from Building Development and Diagnostic Tools for .Net forum which I am pretty sure is the right place for this question. My question is related to profiling metro style app written in C#, not building metro style app with C#. I don't think this forum is the right place for my question, but I will grateful if anyone can help me.

• Moved by Mike FengModerator Friday, July 6, 2012 8:49 AM Metro style app (From:Building Development and Diagnostic Tools for .Net)
    • Edited by M.Slav Friday, July 6, 2012 1:14 PM update
    • Moved by Matt SmallMicrosoft employee Friday, July 6, 2012 8:57 PM Tools issue (From:Building Metro style apps with C# or VB )
    • Moved by Min ZhuModerator Monday, July 16, 2012 2:35 AM move back (From:Tools for Metro style apps )
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 1:20 PM

Answers

• Hi, Mihail.

I think you had the right forum originally, but I'll answer here.  :-)  There are a number of considerations when writing your own profiler to work against metro apps, but this is not yet available in documentation.  I'm working with some folks in Windows to ensure we get the right information written down and made available to profiler vendors (likely somewhere on MSDN where anyone can read it), but it will take some time I'm afraid.

Thanks,
    Dave

• Marked as answer by M.Slav Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:28 AM
    Monday, July 9, 2012 6:21 PM

All replies

• We have a tools for Metro apps forum, that's where I'm moving this. 

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

Friday, July 6, 2012 8:57 PM
  • Hi, Mihail.

I think you had the right forum originally, but I'll answer here.  :-)  There are a number of considerations when writing your own profiler to work against metro apps, but this is not yet available in documentation.  I'm working with some folks in Windows to ensure we get the right information written down and made available to profiler vendors (likely somewhere on MSDN where anyone can read it), but it will take some time I'm afraid.

Thanks,
    Dave

• Marked as answer by M.Slav Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:28 AM
    Monday, July 9, 2012 6:21 PM
  • Hi David,

Thank you for the answer. I will check MSDN and its forums on a regular basis to see whether such information is published.

Regards,

Mihail

P.S. Maybe it would be a nice thing some moderator to move this post back to Building Development and Diagnostic Tools for .Net forum so other interested developers can read it. Thanks!

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:27 AM
  • Thanks, Mihail.  I will also post a message on my blog once this information is available.  http://blogs.msdn.com/davbr

Monday, July 16, 2012 4:17 PM
  • Hello David,

I was wondering if some new information is already available on this?

Thanks!

Friday, November 9, 2012 11:27 PM
  • Hi, Igal.

A whitepaper has been written on this topic, and is currently in editorial review.  We expect it to be published early December.  We will also be releasing an update to the CLRProfiler memory profiler sample, with source code, that demonstrates how to write a profiler that runs against Windows Store apps.  (I don't have a specific estimated date for that yet.)

Thanks,
    Dave

Monday, November 12, 2012 6:41 PM