How to replace aspx page? RRS feed

• Question

• So we have a customPerson.aspx page and want to change the link from person.aspx to customPerson.aspx. How do we go about doing this?

I found some resources saying the link needs to be chaned in web.config in the forms tag but I can't seem to find that tag in web.config....any ideas how to change this link?

Thanks!!

Friday, July 27, 2012 9:57 PM

Answers

• Hi tudor, 

How about 

1. creating new site definition based on the SPSMSITEHOST site template (OOTB my site template)
    2. Modify the Site definition add your webpart and make all the changes to the Person.aspx page
    3. use the newly created site template to create My site instead of the OOTB template 

this will not be override by any updated as it's newly created site definition 

Hope that helps|Amr Fouad|MCTS,MCPD sharePoint 2010

• Proposed as answer by Amr FouadMVP Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Sunday, August 5, 2012 2:09 PM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:57 AM

All replies

• Hi tudor, 

all sites refers to this page so instead of changing the Url of the page  just open the site http://serverName/my in your sharePoint designer , you will find the person.aspx page on the All Files   folder of , just check it out and do your customization there , if you want to undo the changes , you can revert to the OOTB old person.aspx page

Hope that helps Amr Fouad MCTS,MCPD sharePoint 2010

• Proposed as answer by romeo donca Saturday, July 28, 2012 7:30 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by tudorH Monday, July 30, 2012 5:35 PM
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 1:25 AM
  • Hi,

What do you want to do exactly to customPerson.aspx first, please explain to give you best solution.

Mai Omar Desouki | Software Consultant | Infusion | MCP, MCTS, MCPD, MCITP, MCT Microsoft Certified Trainer & MCC Microsoft Community Contributor | Email: mai_omar_86@live.com | Blog: http://moresharepoint.wordpress.com

Saturday, July 28, 2012 1:29 AM
  • I'm trying to add a web part to the aspx page so that each My Site that is created will have that web part visible.

ministainer: if I was to just change the person.aspx doesn't that mean that if a Microsoft update or patch contains changes to person.aspx, it will completely override my changes? The reason I wanted to change the link is so that it will reference my own aspx page so any future updates or patches won't have any effect. Is this correct?

Monday, July 30, 2012 5:35 PM
  • Hi tudor, 

How about 

1. creating new site definition based on the SPSMSITEHOST site template (OOTB my site template)
    2. Modify the Site definition add your webpart and make all the changes to the Person.aspx page
    3. use the newly created site template to create My site instead of the OOTB template 

this will not be override by any updated as it's newly created site definition 

Hope that helps|Amr Fouad|MCTS,MCPD sharePoint 2010

• Proposed as answer by Amr FouadMVP Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Sunday, August 5, 2012 2:09 PM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:57 AM