none
Problem signing silverlight Xap file - VS 2015 Update 3

Question

• Hello, this is how Silverlight project code signing property page looks like on my Surface 4 Pro.
    I am not able to configure assembly signing or strong name.
    Am I the only one experiencing this issue?
    Other property project pages look good.

Thanks,

Thomas

Friday, December 2, 2016 12:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Thomas D J,

Do this issue occurs before?

Since I don't have a Surface 4 Pro to verify whether this issue related to Surface 4 pro, I suggest you change another PC machine to check whether it also has this issue. And you also can check on another Surface 4 pro machine. The Signing page in Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 display correctly on my PC machine.

In addition, please try with following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

1. Check your Visual Studio 2015 with Update 3 version. The latest version should be 14.0.25431.01. If not, please open Tools -> Extensions and Updates to check whether there has any updates for your Visual Studio.
    2. Run your Visual Studio in safe mode to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    3. Please check the Signing page for other project type to check whether only Silverlight project has this issue. If only Silverlight project has this issue, please try restore the default Visual Studio project templates with "devenv /installvstemplates" command. If other project also has this issue, I suggest you repair your Visual Studio.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 2, 2016 5:52 AM
  • Hello Weiwei,

on windows 7 machine this page looks much better, although still not perfect unless certificate details text box has dark background by intentional design.

I verified I had the latest VS version 2531.01.

WPF project properties signing page looks good. I guess this SL specific page is just underdeveloped.

Thanks,

Thomas

• Edited by Thomas D J Friday, December 2, 2016 2:33 PM
    Friday, December 2, 2016 2:28 PM
  • Hi Thomas D J,

Do you have tried above troubleshooting steps and what's the results?

According to your description, both of two machines have the same issue only for Silverlight Signing page, do you install them with the same installer?

If your installer is ISO installer, please use FCIV.exe http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841290 to verify hash of the ISO. Any discrepancy would indicate that the file was corrupted.

The SHA-1 value for Visual Studio 2015, please refer to:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/productinfo/vs2015-sha-vs

If you are using web installer, I suggest you download the ISO installer and repair your Visual Studio installation to check whether this issue could fix this issue.

In addition, please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 5, 2016 1:24 AM
  • Hello Weiwei,

I tried running VS with /SafeMode switch - no difference, the problem still shows up.
    My VS 2015 ISO image installation has bee downloaded right from MSDN subscribers downloads area.

I did more test in other environments.
    Briefly: only the Silverlight code signing property page has problem.
    So far the problem has been observed only on Surface Pro 4 machines.
    WPF code signing property page on Surface 4 Pro looks much better, although still not perfect.

The above leads me towards conclusion that the Silverlight code signing property page has not been sufficiently tested and I suggest forwarding this report to VS QA team.

What would I look for in ActiveLog.xml?

Thanks,

Tomasz

• Edited by Thomas D J Monday, December 5, 2016 8:37 PM
    Monday, December 5, 2016 8:35 PM
  • Hi Thomas D J,

Thanks for your response.

>> So far the problem has been observed only on Surface Pro 4 machines.

So this issue should be related to the Surface Pro 4 machines environment, after reporting this issue to VS QA team, please feel free to share the result here. It is benefit to other communities who has the same issue.

>> What would I look for in ActiveLog.xml?

Please search "Error" informaction in the ActiveLog.xml to check whether there has any error message about loading the Silverlight Signing page. And you also could check the log file based on the <time> tag which is logged after you open Signing page.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 2:38 AM
  • Hello Weiwei,

no errors found in ActiveLog.xml.

so far I encountered the problem only on Surface 4 Pro, and only when external monitor is used.

In general, Surface 4 Pro has problems with external monitors, to get good results restart is required after external monitor is connected. All Surface 4 Pro users I spoke with, including MS employees, experience this issue.

Best regards,

Tomasz

Thursday, December 8, 2016 4:57 PM
  • Hi Tomasz,

So do you have connect the Microsoft employees and they also reproduced your issue? Are they provide any suggestion/workaround for this issue?

If you have not connect Microsoft employees, I suggest you submit this issue to Visual Studio Connect and share the feedback link here. It could let other communities who has the same issue to vote and add comments for your feedback.

Thanks,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support

Friday, December 9, 2016 1:23 AM