none
ActiveSync mail items won't get synced back to server RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Outlook add-in which makes some changes to the Outlook mail item and saves the changes afterwards.

My problem is that if I use an ActiveSync account, those changes won't get synced back to the server. Therefore, the mail items are different in the Outlook app and the web app.

Does anybody know more about the ActiveSync synchronisation procedure or why my changes aren't sent to the server correctly?

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 3:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Peperoni,

>> My problem is that if I use an ActiveSync account, those changes won't get synced back to the server.

What function do you achieve in your Outlook add-in? Did your issue exist in other Exchange accounts? If you manually modify the message, will the changes get synced for an ActiveSync account?

>> Does anybody know more about the ActiveSync synchronisation procedure or why my changes aren't sent to the server correctly?

Is this ActiveSync procedure provided by Outlook, or you achieve this in your Add-in?

In addition, I suggest you check whether the link below would be helpful.

#Synchronization problems occur in Outlook and in Outlook Web App
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2526306

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 10, 2016 7:19 AM
  • Hi Edward,

my add-in modifies the mail item before sending and again upon receiving.

To break the problem down, I made a minimal example where I only changed the mail item's Html body to "ORIGINAL" in the send event and then to "MODIFIED" when I receive it. All emails show with "MODIFIED" in Outlook and "ORIGINAL" in the web app (server).

Modifying the message in Outlook had the same effect: none. The message shows modified in Outlook, but unmodified on the server.

The ActiveSync procedure is entirely handled by Outlook and I suspect that there is no synchronization for modified items in the client back to the server.

Is there any way to trigger this synchronization? Or can you think of another problem?

EDIT: With Exchange and IMAP, the server items get synched correctly.

• Edited by Peperoni12 Thursday, November 10, 2016 11:14 AM
    Thursday, November 10, 2016 11:13 AM
  • Hi Peperoni,

Thanks for your detailed information.

I made a test with ActiveSync, and I could reproduce your issue. I also test whether the unread property, and unread will be synced to web app. It seems the ActiveSync will sync the content between client outlook and web app.

For a temporary workaround, I suggest you try Exchange or IMAP.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 11, 2016 9:29 AM
  • Hi Edward,

thank you again for looking into this issue!

Does this mean that it is a bug in Outlook's ActiveSync implementation or is it expected behaviour with this protocol?

The problem with your temporary suggestion is that I have to support all three of them...

Friday, November 11, 2016 10:57 AM
  • Hi Peperoni,

To be honesty, I could not decide whether it is a bug or expected behavior.

Based on our test, I think it is not related with developing, and it is more related with Outlook product, I will suggest you go to below forum to check for more suggestion.

Reference: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=outlook

If you have any other issues related with developing, please feel free to post in this forum.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support

Saturday, November 12, 2016 8:15 AM