Pin IE9 Sites to Start Screen (i.e. Metro)?

Question

• I searched the forums for this and did not see anything so here is my question.

How do I pin IE9 websites to the start screen? Not the taskbar (in desktop mode). I have those and they are great, but what I need is to be able to launch a website (youtube.com/netflix.com) right from my main interface (tablet user loving metro).

Just in case it is not obvious (or I am missing something) the reason I need to do this is because IE10 (metro IE) does not allow plugins like flash/silverlight. Currently I need flash/Silverlight plugin installed in order to watch videos online. Yes I realize I can simply click "Desktop" icon and then click on pinned site, but would rather have an icon.

FYI, I have tried to drag pinned site to desktop and then right click>pin to start menu, but the icons never appear.

Last thing in case MS folks are perusing. It may already be in the cards, but I think it would be fantastic if IE10 autodirected to IE9 for sites that we either A. flag ourselves or B. display a need for plugin. For example, I open mlb.com in IE10 but it then passes the page to IE9 to open there.

With sites going away from Flash to HTML5 this will be less an issue over time but for now would be a nice auto workaround.

Thanks so much

peeklay

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• NOTE: I am referencing IE9 here but mean the IE10 desktop/legacy browser (not the immersive browser on Start Screen).

Sorry, used to calling it IE9 since that is what I use on desktop

Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:00 PM
  • Hey Peeklay,

You can pin a site to the Start menu that will open with the desktop version of Internet Explorer 10 by:

• Navigate to the website in the desktop version of Internet Explorer
    • Click the Tools "gear" icon display in the upper right of the window
    • Click File
    • Click Add site to Start menu

Once you have entered the name for the pinned site, enter the Start screen and you should see a new icon displayed the new pinned site.

Hope that helps.

Steven

Sunday, October 23, 2011 1:52 AM