Migrate database of SQL Enterprise to SQL Standard -Possible or Not ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I have one server with SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition (64-bit) instance. The user/app databases are not using any enterprise features. Now I want to migrated it to SQL Server 2012 Standard Edition (64-bit) on another instance.

Is it possible to migrate databases if none of the features of enterprise editions are used.

Thanks in advance.

Nikhil. P. Desai

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:27 AM

All replies

• Yes It is possible

The simplest way is to take a backup and restore that on the new server. if there are any Enterprise features in the database, the database will not start up
    • Edited by ShabSQL Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:36 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:35 AM
  • Hello Nikhil,

It depends on if you have used any Enterprise Features in your databases or on Server Level; you can check it by querying sys.dm_db_persisted_sku_features (Transact-SQL)

If you are using any Enterprise fetaure, then you must remove them before you can migrate; but that can break your system design and you have to find alternative solutions.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Edited by Olaf HelperMVP Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:41 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Ekrem Önsoy Wednesday, January 11, 2017 12:44 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:40 AM
  • Hi 

I have one server with SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition (64-bit) instance. The user/app databases are not using any enterprise features. Now I want to migrated it to SQL Server 2012 Standard Edition (64-bit) on another instance.

Is it possible to migrate databases if none of the features of enterprise editions are used.

A direct downgrade is not possible neither you have any option to downgrade in setup GUI. As others have suggested you would have to install standard edition and backup and restore database.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:41 AM