Windows.Devices.Enumeration.Pnp device found on Windows 8 Pro, but not Windows RT.

Question

• I am building an app to communicate with my Grace Digital Radio implementing the RecivaRadio:0.0 service (see upnp-database.info deviceid=635).

I am using the core windows Store API functionality of Windows.Devices.Enumeration.Pnp to "discover" the DeviceInterface. This works fine on the desktop under Windows 8 Pro x64. But on the Windows RT ARM tablet, the Pnp collections for DeviceInterface and Container are different and do not include this device. The desktop and tablet are on the same local network as the device.

The tablet sees all the other UPnP discovered devices as found on the desktop. Only the "Grace Digital" device is missing.

All devices recognized on Windows RT have manufacturer="Microsoft Corporation" and Category="Multimedia.DMS || Multimedia.DMP". The missing Grace Radio device has manufacturer="Grace Digital" and Category="Multimedia.DMR". I can see no other significant differences in all of the properties available through Windows.Devices.Enumeration.Pnp.

Why is the Windows RT tablet SSDP missing this one device?

Sunday, August 4, 2013 1:33 PM

Answers

• Windows RT appears to be pickier then Windows 8 with device paring of UPnP devices. This device required a manual "Add Device" operation from the Control Panel > Devices and Printers in order to be included in the Windows.Devices.Enumeration.Pnp functions.

Once this was done, it works great!

• Marked as answer by snowg1 Monday, August 5, 2013 11:54 AM
    Monday, August 5, 2013 11:53 AM

All replies

• Stupid question but are you sure there is a windows rt driver for this device?
    Sunday, August 4, 2013 1:39 PM
  • There is no Windows 8 driver for the device. Why does it show up there and not RT?

It shows up as Generic Software device on x64. (with the same Driver and Class GUIDs as the other Microsoft devices found through network UPnP discovery).

The Grace Digital device does appear under Network > Media Devices on the WinRT tablet, but it does not appear in any collection obtained through Windows.Devices.Enumeration.Pnp.

• Edited by snowg1 Sunday, August 4, 2013 4:53 PM
    Sunday, August 4, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Windows RT appears to be pickier then Windows 8 with device paring of UPnP devices. This device required a manual "Add Device" operation from the Control Panel > Devices and Printers in order to be included in the Windows.Devices.Enumeration.Pnp functions.

Once this was done, it works great!

• Marked as answer by snowg1 Monday, August 5, 2013 11:54 AM
    Monday, August 5, 2013 11:53 AM
  • Hi snowg

Thank you for sharing the answer with us. I do think your answer will help other community members

Best regards,

James He
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 10:54 AM