none
Programmatically retrieve hard deleted items - Exchange Server, RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm using EWS managed api to communicate with the Exchange Server 2007 SP1. I am subscribed to Push Notifications and I'm monitoring the changes in the Calendar Folder. When I get the notification about hard the deleted item (SHIFT+Delete in Outlook) I need to get extended properties of this item. 

I know I have to "resurrect" the item first. How can I resurrect the hard deleted item programmatically?

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 8:27 AM

All replies

• On 2007 with EWS you can't access FAI or Items in the folder dumpster directly so they can't be restored via EWS the only thing you can do on 2007 is use a FindItems query and do a softdeleted traversal to see what items are available. A work around for this problem is to use Webdav to do the restore see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vikas/archive/2008/04/28/howto-webdav-ews-programmatically-recover-soft-deleted-items-from-dumpster.aspx (In 2010 you can do this all through EWS).

Cheers
    Glen

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 12:07 PM
  • Thank you for your responce Glen.

I have already send message to Vikas about this:o) But, it is all about SOFT delete and I need to restore HARD deleted item. Am I missing something? Can I achieve this using the PowerShell? I would like to avoid using another API. But if the WebDav is the only way, I will do it with the help of WebDav.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 12:14 PM
  • If you Shift+Delete an Item in Outlook in 2007 that item will go into the dumpster of the folder it was Shift+Deleted from in 2007 with EWS you can't do Get,Copy,Move on these type of Items. If you where to use the Exchagne Management Shell you could use Export-Mailbox to export dumster items but this cmdlet is limited into where you can export the items to so would be difficult to automate. WebDAV and/or MAPI at a simple items level are the only way that in know that would be reasonably workable.

Cheers
    Glen

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 12:22 PM
  • What do you suggest to use for recovery? MAPI or WebDav?  

EDIT: I can't work on the client side. No Outlook installed.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 12:29 PM