autostart debugging under WoW64 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 32-bit 'C' app that runs under WoW64 on Windows Server 2008 R2, and I need to automatically attach VS 2005 to debug it on start-up. I've tried  creating the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\currentversion\image file execution options\<app name>\debugger = 'devenv /debugger' registry entry (and also the equivalent Wow6432Node entry), but when I try to run the relevant app nothing happens. Anyone know how to setup auto-attach debugging for 32-bit apps using VS 2005 on Windows Server 2008 R2?
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:54 AM

Answers

• You have to add the directory containing 'devenv.exe' to the Path (i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE) and the 'debugger' registry variable needs to be set to 'devenv /debugexe' in regedit.
    • Marked as answer by taci Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:20 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:19 PM

All replies

• You have to add the directory containing 'devenv.exe' to the Path (i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE) and the 'debugger' registry variable needs to be set to 'devenv /debugexe' in regedit.
    • Marked as answer by taci Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:20 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Thank you for your sharing.
    Eric Yang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 2:22 AM