Migrate to Windows 8.1: Window.Current.SizeChanged not fired between 320px and 500px? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I try to migrate a Windows 8 Store App to run and support Windows 8.1 using Visual Studio 2012.
    (I do not want to retarget my app because I want one code base for Windows 8 AND Windows 8.1!)

I want to use the SizeChanged-Event to react on the different sizes of my app (the visual states like "Snapped" are no more supported).

Window.Current.SizeChanged += OnWindowSizeChanged;

But this Event is not fired when the apps size is between 320px (Snapped) and 500 px!

Seems that Windows 8 apps do not get the Size Events between Snapped and FullScreen-Mode.

Do I have to add a minimal size on the package.appxmanifest?

Thanks,

Andi

Monday, November 18, 2013 2:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Andi,

Yes, you'll need to maintain two branches for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. Where it makes sense you can share code between them via linked files, Portable Class Libraries, etc.

--Rob

Monday, November 18, 2013 7:44 PM

All replies

• You need to upgrade the app to target Windows 8.1 to use the new Windows 8.1 features.

Windows 8 apps don't support sizes which weren't available on Windows 8.

--Rob

Monday, November 18, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Hi Rob,

retargeting my app has the consequence to maintain two branches Windows 8 AND Windows 8.1. Why is MS going this way of incompatibility?
    New features must be implemented twice (if not mergable) and not all users will imediately switch to 8.1.
    Andi

• Edited by duck42 Monday, November 18, 2013 5:50 PM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Hi Andi,

Yes, you'll need to maintain two branches for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. Where it makes sense you can share code between them via linked files, Portable Class Libraries, etc.

--Rob

Monday, November 18, 2013 7:44 PM
  • and about the way of incompatibility; what you expected? windows 8.1 features in windows 8? wouldnt give that some other problems?

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Monday, November 18, 2013 9:10 PM