SQL Server 2014 CTP on a desktop/laptop? RRS feed

• Question

• Looks like the above option is not possible. Could you confirm?

mysorian

• Moved by Tom Phillips Monday, July 1, 2013 1:32 PM 2014 question
    Friday, June 28, 2013 3:17 AM

All replies

• AFAIK, you can only install 2014 CTP on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, and Windows Server 2012. CTP is only available for x64 platform.

As long as your desktop/laptop meets these requirements you can install it.

- Vishal

SqlAndMe.com

Friday, June 28, 2013 5:43 AM
  • That installation can be done under below Supported Operating Systems:
    Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2012

Please click the Mark as answer button and vote as helpful if this reply solves your problem

Friday, June 28, 2013 7:29 AM
  • I did try to install on Windows 7 and it did a rules check. It did not complain about Windows 7 and I guess it is possible to install on Windows 7. Is there a link (preferably msdn or technet link) to substantiate the fact?

In its documentation on MSDN there is a title says 'harware and software requirements for SQL Server2014' but the body of the article is all about SQL Server 2012.

Hodentek

mysorian

Monday, July 1, 2013 12:12 AM
  • Hi mysorian,

are you sure? I ran it under Windows 7 and it pointed only to an existing installation of another version of SQL Server. This has to be removed and than the installation should work. But I didn't test ist until yet.

Currently I'm installing a dedicated Win8 machine for the tests.

MCM - SQL Server 2008
    MCSE - SQL Server 2012
    db Berater GmbH
    SQL Server Blog (german only)

Monday, July 1, 2013 7:18 AM
  • As I said I have not completely checked it out. I will try to follow it up, but I right now I am trying to complete some work I am doing with SQL Server 2012. I need to remove it before I install SQL Server 2014 CTP.

You may want to look up my post on my blog here:

http://hodentek.blogspot.com/2013/06/would-you-like-to-evaluate-sql-server.html

mysorian

Monday, July 1, 2013 9:26 AM
  • SQL Server 2014 CTP1 is available as a template in Windows Azure.  Certain MSDN licenses give you a free monthly allowance and you needn't worry about prerequisites or patching.

It took about 10 minutes to set up and I heartily recommend it.

Monday, July 1, 2013 1:37 PM
  • Currently, CTP1 does not support side-by-side installation with other versions of SQL Server.  You need to either have a fresh machine/VM, or uninstall all SQL Server features prior to the CTP1 install.

It will install on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2012.

Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine PM

Monday, July 1, 2013 5:34 PM
  • Kevin is correct.

Reminder folks, don't forget to read the release notes, located here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn169381(v=sql.15).aspx

Per the release notes:
    1.1.2 Hardware and software restrictions

• SQL Server 2014 CTP 1 is only available on X64 architecture. The SQL Server Installation Center dialog displays x86 as an option, however, this architecture is not supported and should not be selected during Setup.
        • SQL Server 2014 CTP 1 is only supported on the following operating systems:  Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview. 

Kathy MacDonald Business Platform Division - Customer Programs

Monday, July 1, 2013 5:45 PM
  • Please see the SQL Server 2014 CTP 1 Release Notes for the supported hardware/software and know issues.    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn169381(v=sql.15).aspx 

Regards,

Gail

Gail Erickson [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

• Edited by Gail Erickson Monday, July 1, 2013 9:24 PM updated link
    Monday, July 1, 2013 5:49 PM
  • I get an application error when I access the provided link.

mysorian

Monday, July 1, 2013 6:06 PM
  •  I did see this and hence my original post. Notwithstanding I tried on Windows 7 and I did not get an error message that it is not supported.

Sometimes 'not spported' in Microsoft parlance means 'no customer support' and 'not on production machine'. Even the rules check did not bring it up as described with screen shots in one of my posts to this thread.

http://hodentek.blogspot.com

mysorian

Monday, July 1, 2013 6:12 PM
  • Hi,

i can confirm that SQL 2014 CTP1 can be perfectly installed on a WIN 8 Professional without any Problems. Time to play now :)

MCM - SQL Server 2008
    MCSE - SQL Server 2012
    db Berater GmbH
    SQL Server Blog (german only)

Monday, July 1, 2013 7:38 PM
  • Wunderbar!!

I am not ready to confirm on Windows 7 (I am locked up with WIndows 7).

mysorian

Monday, July 1, 2013 7:44 PM
  • Sorry, the ending period was included in the link.  It's fixed now.

Gail Erickson [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Monday, July 1, 2013 9:24 PM