Azure File Sync - Renaming file share in Azure Storage Explorer failed RRS feed

• Question

• Using the Azure Portal for configuration. Using Azure File Sync to migrate file shares to a new server. 

-Created file share 'fs-afs-01'.

-Created sync group 'syncgrp-afs-itdept'.

-Configured cloud endpoint to be 'fs-afs-01' file share.

-Configured server endpoints on fileserver-1 and fileserver-2 to their respective folder locations.

-Attempted rename via Storage Explorer from 'fs-afs-01' to 'fs-afs-itdept'.

-Started getting messages in Storage Explorer that certain files were read-only and failing to copy. Was presented the option to cancel after a large number failed, and chose to cancel the operation.

Result: Error "Renaming file share with 76310 files/directories from 'stfpafs01/fs-afs-01' to 'stfpafs01/fs-afs-itdept': Canceled (60074 completed, 96 canceled, 39512 pending)

It appears that the process was not rolled back.

Now there are 2 file share directories in azure, fs-afs-01 and fs-afs-itdept with different file sets.

The syncgroup still points at the cloud endpoint fs-afs-01 and syncs the server endpoints but the file sets on the servers are missing all the files that were moved to fs-afs-itdept share.

How best to proceed?

Thursday, November 21, 2019 9:11 PM

All replies

• @Erik Mandt As I Understand you are unable to rename the Azure file share in Storage Explorer am I correct? 

I was able to reproduce the issue and I was able rename the Azure file share. 

Can you disconnect and reconnect to Azure Storage explorer tool and try? Also check have set any permission policies to the azure file share files/directories or folders 

If the issue still persists, can you share the screen shot of the error message? 

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take a moment to "Mark as Answer" and/or "Vote as Helpful" wherever applicable. Thanks!

Friday, November 22, 2019 11:32 AM
  • Following up on this query to see if the above suggestion was helpful. And, if you have any further query do let us know.

Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. 
    Saturday, November 23, 2019 4:44 PM
  • Not sure why you were trying to rename the file share? I don't think you can rename the file share once the file sync is established. You probably have to disable Azure file sync to rename the file share.

Sounds like your file sync got messed up. To avoid unexpected data loss, probably it would be a good idea to disable the sync and reestablish with the file share with desired name.

Rohan Islam | Azure Architect

Sunday, November 24, 2019 3:22 PM
  • @Erik Mandt Is there any update on the issue?

If the suggested answer helped for your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Monday, November 25, 2019 8:23 AM
  • @Erik Mandt Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know
    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 4:54 AM