none
Defective Unit? Bad calibration? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone! I'm really excited about the SDK release and the arrival of my Kinect, but I found something strange.

Using the code from this this example, I noticed two areas in the depth image of my Kinect sensor that remained static.

I have taken a screenshot and annotated it by highlighting the areas with red ellipses. Note these two white areas (the entire column to the left and the rectangle at the top right corner) are not part of the scene, and do not change when I reposition the sensor. The color image does not seem to have any defects.

Is there a way to fix this or should I exchange my Kinect sensor for a different one?

Friday, June 17, 2011 5:14 PM

Answers

• We are investigating issue. It does not indicate a defective sensor, but we currently don't have any recommendations to get rid of these artifacts.

Actually, could people running into this let us know what kind of hardware setup they have (e.g.: PC make, model, 32 vs 64 bit, etc.) to see if there are any high level commonalities that could help us identify underlying issue faster?

Sorry for the trouble and thanks for the feedback.
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:55 PM

All replies

• I can confirm that I have seen this same issue on multiple different Kinect devices as well.  I pinged the internal support team and hopefully they can provide clarity to the problem.

Monday, June 27, 2011 11:45 PM
  • I have exactly the same two areas on my Kinect which don't provide any depth data. I measured the area in the top right and it was 5 pixels high by 30 pixels wide.
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 5:17 AM
  • I have the same as well, I'm just ignoring it, the problem with x,y co-ords being inaccurate is killing my plans more and no one seems to be able to answer that, so I hope you hear back about this.
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:29 AM
  • We are investigating issue. It does not indicate a defective sensor, but we currently don't have any recommendations to get rid of these artifacts.

Actually, could people running into this let us know what kind of hardware setup they have (e.g.: PC make, model, 32 vs 64 bit, etc.) to see if there are any high level commonalities that could help us identify underlying issue faster?

Sorry for the trouble and thanks for the feedback.
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:55 PM
  • Same issue, my setup:

Win7-64 (Home Pro)

Intel Q6600 @ 3.4GHz

8GB Ram

Kinect directly attached to motherboard USB port (failed horribly on a hub).  Working fine otherwise.

Friday, July 1, 2011 10:45 AM
  • Same issue

Win7 (64) Pro OEM

AMD Phemon II x4 2.8GHz (OC to 3.28)

8GB memory

Friday, July 1, 2011 5:17 PM
  • Exactly same issue:

Personal Built Machine:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Intel Core i7 930

6 GB RAM 1333

Saturday, July 2, 2011 12:00 AM
  • Same here. Along the entire left side (ex:7x300) in the top right corner (ex:40x7) of the depth stream. Resolution-independent behavior.

Custom machine

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (fully patch).

AMD Phenom II x4 965

8 GB

MSFT folks, if you need a machine to debug, we can arrange to remote to my home machine. Contact me (PaulBro) via corp mail.

- thanks

Microsoft Expression Setup Developer
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:42 PM
  • I'm also experiancing this. I'm also running a 64 bit version of windows as is everyone who seems to be reporting this problem. (Is this also happening in 32 bit versions?)

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Intel Duo Quad Core 2.33Ghz

6GB ram

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 8:36 PM
  • we're looking into this
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 8:48 PM
  • is everyone seeing both "sections"? I.e. whole left edge AND top right?
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 10:32 PM
  • I see only the top right section. 

My set up is

Dell XPS 
    Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Intel Core i7 Q820

8GB RAM  

I looked at the value this area contains and it returns 65535 which is 2^16-1, but the documentation says that only 12 bits are used and 4 are unused meaning that the maximum value should be 2^12-1 = 4095....

Saturday, July 9, 2011 1:46 PM
  • we've done some investigation on this.... the "left edge" issue also happens with the XBox. The "top right" issue isn't coming from the driver level and are investigating at the runtime layer.
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 8:09 PM
  • It looks like it is a general problem of MSFT driver.

I tried other drivers like CL NUI or OpenKinect, and all seems fine. 

Sunday, July 10, 2011 5:17 PM
  • That's good to know, thanks!
    Monday, July 11, 2011 4:09 PM
  • I believe along the edge is suppose to be there. I believe it's like an image processing kernel in that you lose the edges. The actual image is 1280x1024 which makes 640x512 so you don't see it at the top or bottom because they have the extra 32 pixels there. The top corner is present on both of mine which I'm running Windows 7 64-bit with Service Pack 1 and a i5-650 cpu, 8mb of memory and an AMD 5770.

Sunday, July 17, 2011 1:02 PM
  • Thank Eddy,

We purcased our family a kinect unit for xmas 2011 and it as working great up till about May 2012... now its seems to freeze up after it calibrates and strange symbols and forien languages appears ... then a messaage promts to please shut the kinect. I have followed all the re--boot, trouble shooting videos I could find via google. My kids are so angry it doesn't work and we can't seem to find anyone to repair it. Do you know where we can ship it for repairs ?? I wouls like it replaced or repaired.. upon investigation of the console you will see its still in excellent condition, never bumped, dropped or damaged in any way. So the glitch isn't a result of my familys use, we loved our kinect, please inform me how to repair. Thank you.

Monday, August 6, 2012 6:14 AM
  • Left band missing as well, top is complete (no missing rectangle).

Running Kinect for Windows SDK 1.5 with 1.5.2 Toolkit on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 EN-US with FR-FR language pack on Intel DP55KG motherboard, Core i7 860 @ 2.8GHz (all 4 cores and hyperthreading enabled), 8GB of DDR3 RAM @ 1333 MHz, no Hypervisor installed.
    Kinect for Windows sensor (not the Xbox 360 version) attached to a motherboard USB port.

Had this band for as long as I can remember, I always assumed it was some picture offset to match the depth view on the RGB view. No other problem so far.

- Philippe Majerus / Majerus.net

• Edited by Philippe Majerus Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:46 AM Added hardware sensor information
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:44 AM