Where does Directx 9L fit in?

Question

• Uptil now I was under the belief that DX 9L was the DX9 version of Vista. That means vista had DX10 and this 9L (Legacy ???) together. So games that could use DX10 used that and other stuff defaulted back to the old DX architecture.

Now today I read on the Inquirer (rumor central) that DX 9L is basically DX10 for XP...that is DX9c in XP will be replaced by that.

Can someone clear out what is the position of DX9L in the world of DX10 and DX9c and what OS is it meant for..Thanks

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 4:09 AM

Answers

• It's a very funny rumor. First, officially DX10 is D3D10 only. There's no DSound10 or blah blah blah. Only D3D10. And no, D3D9L is a Vista extension for D3D9-based titles so they can make use of some of the new Vista-specific features. So it's clearly not a WinXP thing... (hmph, how could people allow themselves to write such garbage).
    Tuesday, October 17, 2006 5:57 AM

All replies

• It's a very funny rumor. First, officially DX10 is D3D10 only. There's no DSound10 or blah blah blah. Only D3D10. And no, D3D9L is a Vista extension for D3D9-based titles so they can make use of some of the new Vista-specific features. So it's clearly not a WinXP thing... (hmph, how could people allow themselves to write such garbage).
    Tuesday, October 17, 2006 5:57 AM
  •  Wessam Bahnassi wrote:
    It's a very funny rumor. First, officially DX10 is D3D10 only. There's no DSound10 or blah blah blah. Only D3D10. And no, D3D9L is a Vista extension for D3D9-based titles so they can make use of some of the new Vista-specific features. So it's clearly not a WinXP thing... (hmph, how could people allow themselves to write such garbage).

yes, thats exactly what i took out of it. thanks.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 6:26 AM
  • Tuesday, October 17, 2006 9:15 AM
  • Tuesday, October 17, 2006 8:33 PM