What is the best way to do perfect curves ? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I have a bitmap drawing from which I am creating different path object in order to be able to use them in blend.
    For example I am using the Pen tool to draw some border of my drawing. I have understand that more point you create with pen tool more precise will be your shape but I have then notice that it is more complicated to get perfect arcs.

So what is the best way, after using the pen tool to draw shape borders, to get perfect path and arc ?

thnaks for your reply

serge

Your knowledge is enhanced by that of others.
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Serge,

First, I suggest using the B-Spline tool (W); it allows you to draw smooth arcs and with Alt + click it does sharp turns.  You can also create a new layer, lock the other layers, and use the B-spline or drag out ellipses/circles to approximate the curves you want to clean up.  Select all on this new layer and use Object>Guides>Make (Control + 5),  in View>check snap to guides and then unlock and edit the nodes of your initial path(s) , snapping to the guides with the Direct Selection tool (A).  The guide layer doesn't print or export. 

Let me know if this works for you.

~Fred
    • Proposed as answer by Fred C_ Friday, June 18, 2010 3:55 PM
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 5:06 PM
  • Thnaks for your reply.

Oups I am really new in Design and i do not get what you mean by the follwing in order to redraw a bitmap border to get perfect otline border :

"You can also create a new layer, lock the other layers, and use the B-spline or drag out ellipses/circles to approximate the curves you want to clean up.  Select all on this new layer and use Object>Guides>Make (Control + 5),  in View>check snap to guides and then unlock and edit the nodes of your initial path(s) , snapping to the guides with the Direct Selection tool (A).  The guide layer doesn't print or export. "

regards

serge

Your knowledge is enhanced by that of others.
    Monday, June 21, 2010 6:34 PM
  • Hi Serge,

That paragraph refers to creating rough shapes and/or lines that together come close to the final shape you need, then when you change the layer to Guides all of the shapes and lines become Guidelines.  For example, you may need a quarter of a full circle for a portion of the final bitmap border; if you position a similar circle and make it a guide, you can snap the bitmap border to just the part(s) you want to carefully draw the bitmap border you need.  In effect, they are temporary references to help get a smoother bitmap border.

In the Help file, you may want to review 'Create and use object guides' and 'Snap to guides, grids and points'.

Regards,

~Fred
    • Proposed as answer by Fred C_ Thursday, June 24, 2010 12:58 PM
    Monday, June 21, 2010 7:22 PM
  • I don't know if it helps at all but some use of the b-spline tool is here.

http://www.deebs.me.uk/web-content/I/1/WIP02/201.html

Quick link here

The b-spline tool seems quite effective in giving smooth arcs with corner/sharp nodes as Fred described, although it might take a while to get used to how it works (I prefer it to the pen tool for sure)

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:24 AM