computer lockin up expression 4 RRS feed

• Question

• This kind of sucks that the only way to get help is to post a message and hope someone answers it. $500+ dollars and cant get phone help.

Anyway I downloaded web expression 4 ultimate trial version. Installed and started working on a web page. Clicked on one of the tools (dont remember which one) and the program locked up my computer. Had to shut it down to get out of it. When I tried to restart computer it would no restart. Had to go into safe mode and go to my last restore point. got the computer working again redownloaded software, opened it and again it locked up computer again. had to go back to restore point again. Tried download 1 more time with same results.

Calle microsoft support and guess what? They told me the only way I could get to a support rep was to post a question on this stupid forum and hope someone gets back to me. Just had a similar bad experience with an apple Ipad my stepdaughter has and told everybody that would listen that at least this would never happen with MY pc and microsoft.

Isn't it a shame that a couple of major companies will charge huge sums of money for a product that is designed by themselves to operate on thier own operating system and only supplies support through a forum.

So if one of you mysterious microsoft techies happen to read this and helps me out maybe i'll use your software.

SIncerely

Paul

Friday, September 14, 2012 12:33 AM

All replies

• Well if this board and the people who post here are so "stupid" then I guess nobody here can help. After all you didn't bother to include any information that would possibly help someone to help you like oh, the OS you are running, whether or not you have the dotnet framework installed or WPF.

Seems to me you have a few options, one is to read the sticky posts at the top of this forum. The first one includes known issues like making sure you have a properly installed asp.net 4.0 or 4.5 framework that isn't corrupt and that your system has windows presentation foundation installed (Vista or Win 7 native, XP you need to update to the latest service pack).

Your situation isn't common but there have been install issues which is why there is a FAQ which includes what information you need to provide if you want assistance from the VOLUNTEERS in this forum. Nobody here with the rare exception of Jim Cheshire works for Microsoft. Oh and if it tured out that the problem was caused by MS such as a bug in their software they would refund your tech support payment. If it is a problem with your system then it wouldn't be according to the information previously posted in this forum.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Friday, September 14, 2012 12:46 AM
  • Read the "Forum FAQ and Guidelines ... Start Here" post.  This is not a MS technical support forum, and we are not "MS techies".  This is a user to user forum.  [How much you would pay for EW if you actually bought it means nothing to us: we won't get a dime of it.]  We help other EW users, for free, in our spare time - when the question is about how to use EW.

The forum FAQ explains the limits of what this forum is for, and references other resources for some known technical issues.

But the bottom line is that you are talking about a trial version, for which you have not paid a dime.   If it won't work on your machine ... well, that's part of what trials are for.  Don't buy it if you can't get it installed and working properly.

• Edited by KathyW2 Friday, September 14, 2012 1:12 AM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 1:11 AM
  • This kind of sucks that the only way to get help is to post a message and hope someone answers it. $500+ dollars and cant get phone help.

Hey, Pablo! You didn't pay "$500+" for anything. You didn't pay an effing dime for that trial version download. And since you apparently haven't purchased software in the last decade and a half, here's a clue: No one offers free phone tech support anymore. That went out with $500 copies of Wordperfect and Lotus 1-2-3, and three-volume, thick, printed manuals with every retail boxed software application.

Calle microsoft support and guess what? They told me the only way I could get to a support rep was to post a question on this stupid forum and hope someone gets back to me.

Wow, you really know how to set yourself up for failure, don't you? Listen, you witless twit, this forum is manned by unpaid volunteers, users of EW who come here on our own time to try to help others. Acting like a jackass and making yourself persona non grata here with your first post is not best calculated to persuade anyone here to help you.

So if one of you mysterious microsoft techies happen to read this and helps me out maybe i'll use your software.

This is not MS tech support, which you would know if you had done as you should have before posting and read the Forum FAQs and Guidelines - Start Here. If you want MS Support, be prepared to shell out about $250 if the issue turns out not to be a Microsoft problem. And, frankly, we couldn't care less whether you use the software or not. We are not Microsoft, we have no financial connection to Microsoft, and I and several others here use both EW and Dreamweaver. If you don't want to use EW, fine, hie your little butt on over to Adobe's site and shell out $400 for DW. Then have fun figuring out how to use it. Maybe you can ask someone in an Adobe forum, but given your performance here, that's not likely to avail you very much.

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, September 14, 2012 2:54 AM
  • "If you want MS Support, be prepared to shell out about $250 if the issue turns out not to be a Microsoft problem."

I'm not sure that's an option in this case.  I'm pretty sure MS doesn't provide assisted support for trial versions, which is probably why the OP was sent here (and only as a "well, if someone has had the exact same problem maybe they found a solution" straw-grasping, since they should know this is not a technical support forum).

Friday, September 14, 2012 4:12 AM

Anyway I downloaded web expression 4 ultimate trial version. Installed and started working on a web page. Clicked on one of the tools (dont remember which one) and the program locked up my computer. Had to shut it down to get out of it. When I tried to restart computer it would no restart. Had to go into safe mode and go to my last restore point. got the computer working again redownloaded software, opened it and again it locked up computer again. had to go back to restore point again. Tried download 1 more time with same results.

Calle microsoft support and guess what? They told me the only way I could get to a support rep was to post a question on this stupid forum and hope someone gets back to me. Just had a similar bad experience with an apple Ipad my stepdaughter has and told everybody that would listen that at least this would never happen with MY pc and microsoft.

Isn't it a shame that a couple of major companies will charge huge sums of money for a product that is designed by themselves to operate on thier own operating system and only supplies support through a forum.

SIncerely

Paul

Computer type, operating system, memory amount?

Expression Web MVP

Friday, September 14, 2012 12:28 PM