none
How to convince people that programming is a joy and SmallBasic is good start? RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

During these days of social media peoples are moving away from joy of programming. Though I am not an expert, I can do programming and like to do. Trying to convince peoples that smallbasic language as first step in learning programming. Thus as one effort uploaded a small quiz program SHL815 somebody shall try it and give feedback how can I convince people so that they may have same enjoyment about programming. I have made nearly such 250 programs and all in steps suitable for learning SmallBasic

• Edited by Vasekar Thursday, April 24, 2014 12:50 PM
    • Changed type litdevModerator Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:35 PM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 12:47 PM

All replies

• I'm attempting to get filthy rich off of it  >:D

Also its just a fun hobbie.

It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.'" Romans 14:11

Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:27 PM
    Answerer
  • I tend to agree about social media - its all too easy to take all the technology for granted with no idea how any of it works.  I like your program and I'm always looking for new programming challenges for Small Basic and things to provoke interest or cultivate the enthusiasm you and I share - if you have ideas or suggestions they will be gratefully received.  Perhaps we could have a few partially completed or simple starting programs that could be extended as part of a challenge each month?
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:22 PM
  • Hi Vasekar, thanks for raising this

I didn't need any convincing myself. I just saw what programmers were capable of doing these days and thought I'd learn myself.

There are some fantastic promotional videos out there atm starring famous programmers discussing this very topic. I'll post some links to this later.

It seems a lot of people quit way too early which runs the risk of giving programming a bad rap of being too hard. Which is not true. I think the SB community does a great job and can continually improve to help demyth the too hard image. Something people are hard at work on atm. We've also dispelled prerequisite myths like Math, physics and whatever. Learn SB and use it to learn how to program.

Programming is fun even before you write your first game!

So slow down or the hurdles that we all hit (you're not alone here) maybe too big for you to get over. Gaming is an advanced topic for beginners so it's critical that learners practice and master the basics (including how to deal with problems in their coding) before tackling a game challenge.

I think the too hard myth is proliferated by

BAD MORALE. Bad morale sets in when the program doesn't do what you want it to do. This is often just inexperience, impatience and lack of orientation. Continual improvements in support on these points may help.

One way to prevent bad morale is to encourage and inform beginners that

coding is a marathon and not a sprint to your 1st game. Start slowly, don't skip ahead and more often than not only proceed when you understand each step of the curriculum and have practiced it enough.

Here's some old threads discussing some of this:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/57d21a4b-960c-4f09-95bc-b424aaf84cfa/what-it-takes-to-teach-yourself-programming?forum=smallbasic

http://channel9.msdn.com/coding4fun/blog/Theres-nothing-small-or-basic-about-this-map-on-becoming-a-Dev-and-good-coder-using-Small-Basic

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/07001e57-2feb-4b5b-9256-b7082849d72c/the-future-of-sb?forum=smallbasic

and a recent favourite:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8275f90d-a32a-4e08-9795-2d0693d2f24e/how-long-should-i-use-small-basic-as-a-learning-language?forum=smallbasic

This is a learning forum and for me i think it's more about the beginner than Small Basic itself. SB is the language topic and nOOb's are the VIP's.

Social media is a big topic and always needs dicussion. It can be very dangerous to peoples health and more often than not we don't even know. My concern on the social content here is for the quiet posters who sometimes post then disappear. Goodness knows what they are thinking. Fortunately i think social media is the solution to improving SM impact on individuals and the very vehicle to prevent dismisal of this topic. A civilised approach to online learning is a BIGGIE for me and a top candidate for continuous discussion.

I think some hot topics to help prevent people from being discouraged are:

orientation (what you're in for when you get started), testing, basic optimisation and community support (you're not alone, lets talk and get on a good learning pathway).

Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:59 PM
  • lol Funny Zock:) Good luck.

I do it because I want to.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:07 PM
  • Inspiration for one and all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKIu9yen5nc

Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:01 PM
  • I'm attempting to get filthy rich off of it  >:D

Also its just a fun hobbie.

It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.'" Romans 14:11

Can your program produce gold????

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, April 25, 2014 1:25 AM
    Owner