none
Document Set Approval Workflow not approving changes

Question

• I have a workflow that approves a document set and the items inside of it.  It works great when users first create a document set and add items to it.  If a user adds a new document or changes an existing one and re-runs the workflow then the problems start...

The workflow starts by putting everything into a pending state which is good and what we want.  We prefer to have the entire document set approved again even if only one item is changed or added.  But then the person that created the item and document set loses permission to it once the workflow kicks off.  They can't see the items in their view any longer even though they created it.  After the workflow completes everything is still in a pending state and I can see the workflow task has no information in the "related content" column so somewhere along the way that is lost.  If the person running the workflow has full control to the document library then the approval process completes as expected and the related content isn't lost.  

Monday, December 05, 2016 4:19 PM

All replies

• Hi GrayreverandSoftwareGuy,

According to your description, please provide following information to troubleshoot:

Do you enable content approval in library settings?

How do you set the version?

What do you set who can see the draft?

What’s the user’s permission level?

What’s the workflow steps.

Per my test, I set version settings as below:

The user with only contribute permission level re-run the approval workflow for the document set which create by Administrator.

Then it couldn’t show items when the approval status is pending.

Best Regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 1:20 PM
  • Hi Grace - Here are answers to your questions below:

Do you enable content approval in library settings? (YES)

How do you set the version? (Major versions are created if the document set is approved)

What do you set who can see the draft? (Only major versions are being used)

What’s the user’s permission level? (Contribute)

What’s the workflow steps: (Here are some of them but it's long,  It uses the OOB approval and I changed the steps to approve the document set rather than the item)  There's a step called "Set content approval status for the contents of the document set to Approved.  I put that in place of the default "Set content approval of the item the task process is running on...

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 5:44 PM