none
Is Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 4.0 Runtime required to make an add-in work on Office 2010 programs? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'v developed and deployed add-ins for Powerpoint, Word and Excel and it works fine for the 2007 versions. But some other users have tried to install it on MS Office 2010 version and it won't load there. Is it necessary for them to install newer versions of the Visual Studio Tools for the Office Runtime?

My Visual Studio 2008 includes version 3.0 of VSTOR during deployment, but is it necessary to upgrade it to version 4.0 for Office 2010 users??

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 1:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Traxx_,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

It is not necessary to install VSTO runtime 4.0 if you deploy an add-in which was developed under VSTO runtime 3.0 to Office 2010. According to your description, you add-in is not able to load on some customers’ side. Please suggest your customers do some troubleshoot like this: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/haahmadi/archive/2010/05/26/my-vsto-add-in-does-not-load.aspx . I hope it helps.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Traxx_ Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:34 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Traxx_,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

It is not necessary to install VSTO runtime 4.0 if you deploy an add-in which was developed under VSTO runtime 3.0 to Office 2010. According to your description, you add-in is not able to load on some customers’ side. Please suggest your customers do some troubleshoot like this: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/haahmadi/archive/2010/05/26/my-vsto-add-in-does-not-load.aspx . I hope it helps.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Traxx_ Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:34 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:35 AM
  • Thanks. It seems that you're right. I've managed to install the add-in on several computers but on some it fails to load and I can't see why. The display-alerts-trick doesn't help me much, but the computers where it fails have things in common. They are all connected to an isolated network (no external och internet connection) and runs as "virtual machines". I'm not sure this is the reason, but I'll investigate further...

/Göran

Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:33 AM