none
Kinect 2 Connected With No Errors Applications are Showing a Black Screen :( RRS feed

• Question

• Kinect 2 is plugged in, power light is white, and device manager sees the sensor with no errors. But the applications are showing a black screen. Starting to wonder what to do? Right now I have a $200 brick on my desk :(

Yes I have installed the Kinect for Windows SDK 2.0 Public Preview and rebooted many times :(

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:43 AM

Answers

• This site

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-other-devices/kinect-for-windows/kinect-for-windows-v2-known-issues

says:

Only USB3 controllers from Intel and Renesas are supported.
    If you use a different brand of USB3 controller, the Kinect sensor may not function correctly. For example:

The sensor may fail to enumerate
    Depth may not stream
    Color may not stream
    The sensor may stop functioning
    Packet loss may increase

My laptop uses an Intel controller and it works fine with me.
    My friend's PC uses ASMedia and he gets no error and a black screen too.

Would be nice if we could get an official response on the likelihood of this problem being resolved in future releases?

PS: Also would have been nice if this was more clearly expressed when purchasing the device or downloading the SDK or in the specification descripton
    Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:01 AM

All replies

• Exact same problem here. Arrived DOA and having a very difficult time getting answers.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2014 4:12 AM
  • If you have other USB devices plugged in, you might try detaching them.  Sometimes the throughput gets throttled because there is too much going on.  Also, try to run Kinect apps that do only one thing like display video and see what happens.  Lower spec machines have trouble running color plus depth plus skeleton all at once.

I only suggest this because it's happened to me.  The most common mistake I make is simply not having the Kinect power cable plugged in correctly.  I've literally wasted hours on a simple thing like that.

James Ashley - author, Beginning Kinect Programming

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:41 PM
  • No USB 3 devices plugged in to the USB 3 bus. I have a 8 core AMD with 8 GB of ram and a Radeon R7850. CPU power and Graphics power are not an issue.

I have tried all of the apps that only do one thing. Depth map, ir etc none of them work.

I'm not sure what you mean buy not having the power cable plugged in. The power is plugged in and the led is glowing white. Which is correct.

Any other ideas :(

Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:07 AM
  • This site

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-other-devices/kinect-for-windows/kinect-for-windows-v2-known-issues

says:

Only USB3 controllers from Intel and Renesas are supported.
    If you use a different brand of USB3 controller, the Kinect sensor may not function correctly. For example:

The sensor may fail to enumerate
    Depth may not stream
    Color may not stream
    The sensor may stop functioning
    Packet loss may increase

My laptop uses an Intel controller and it works fine with me.
    My friend's PC uses ASMedia and he gets no error and a black screen too.

Would be nice if we could get an official response on the likelihood of this problem being resolved in future releases?

PS: Also would have been nice if this was more clearly expressed when purchasing the device or downloading the SDK or in the specification descripton
    Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:01 AM
  • The Kinect for Windows SDK 2.0 Public Preview site states dedicate USB 3.0 bus nothing about intel or renesas controllers. 

Your computer must have the following minimum capabilities:
      • 64-bit (x64) processor
      • Dual-core 3.1-GHz or faster processor
      • Dedicated USB 3.0 bus
      • 2 GB RAM
      • A Microsoft Kinect for Windows v2 sensor

Friday, July 25, 2014 12:18 AM
  • For everyone curious, the USB controller was definitely the problem, and I've found some further information. 

If you take a look here you will find a list of supported PCI-E USB controllers which can easily be purchased through ebay or at a local computer store.

I had to search a number of shops locally but ended up using the Manhattan 150491 PCI-E express card (which is based on the Renesas controller) and the Kinect 2 now works perfectly.

• Edited by Maxim_G Friday, July 25, 2014 3:51 PM
    Friday, July 25, 2014 3:51 PM
  • Thanks Maxim_G. I'm in the process of buying a new SIIG USB card. Hope this works. I'll let everyone know how it turns out after I test it.
    Saturday, July 26, 2014 4:30 PM
  • Tried two USB 3 cards. Both failed :(

Syba (Best Connectivity) USB 3.0 PCI-e Card with HDD Power Connector (3 + 1 Ports) Low Profile Bracket Included (SD-PEX20080)
    - Based on VLI VL80x USB 3.0 Host Controller
    - IC Compliant with Intel's Extensible Host Controller Interface (xHCI) Specification Revision 0.96

SIIG DP USB 3.0 4-Port PCIe i/e (JU-P40611-S1)
    - Chipset VL800

I guess the VLI chip-set does not work. Going to look for something else.

Malcolm

Monday, July 28, 2014 4:14 AM
  • I'm having the same trouble.  I have verified that my Surface Pro 2 is using an Intel controller.  I have noticed that the KinectSerivce.exe stays at 25% CPU usage after installation, regardless of the device being physically connected. 
    • Edited by Browserboy Monday, July 28, 2014 6:38 PM
    Monday, July 28, 2014 6:37 PM
  • You seem to be right, it sucks with my Asmedia controllers. 

It can almost work sometimes on low res scanning, but most of the time reports not enough usb controller to even be recognised as a webcam etc. Ity basically does not work, and if I have something like a usb headset plugged in there is no chance it will work. This is on a 2015 asus mobo.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 9:42 PM
  • Hi I was able to to get it work after I reset my nvidia driver settings (I was using nvidia profile manager). What I was doing in particular was setting my pre-rendered frames to 8, and allowing it on the "Use 3D application settings" made it work like magic. I have a dedicated PCI usb hub, restored app camera access settings using OOSU10.exe, "searched online for Windows driver" on WDF KinectSensor Interface 0 via the device manager. May not work for you, hopefully this is something you can use though and for other people in the future.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2019 4:13 PM