none
Connecting to Database with Server app. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I must be missing something very simple here, but can't figure out how to do what I need.

I have finally managed to get a client app to talk to a server DLL using .Net remoting.  What I need is for the server DLL to be able to connect to a SQL Server database and query a table and return a DataSet.

Is there a simple example somewhere (preferably in C#).  I want to do something very simple initially:

Client application has on form with a list box and a button on it. When the button is pressed, the server database should be queried and return a list of users and the list box is populated with this list.

I have managed to get the client app to talk to an object on the server and can return simple text strings. However, I need my sever classes to connect to a database and return data.  Ideally, I wanted to use config file to store the location of the database so that it would be easy to point to a different database, but I am willing to hard-code the connection in the class now.

I seem to be unable to connect to the database on the server at all. maybe I have not set something up properly. I am using SQL Sever Express 2005.

Any help is much appreciated.

Pete

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 2:38 PM

Answers

• if the file is not on the Server (remoting server) and exist on somewhere else, then its network permission problem. i know for sql server that you have to give remote access permission. check for Access. Its not remoting issue.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 1:07 PM

All replies

• Put this  function in Server.cs and publish this,Let client use this function.

public DataSet getUsers()

{

string connectionString= "put any conn string";

SqlConnection con = new SqlConnection(connectionString);

con.open();

SqlDataAdapter adapter = new SqlDataAdapter (con,"Select users from userTable");

Dataset ds = new Dataset();

adapter.Fill(ds);

return ds;

}

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 3:08 PM
  • Thanks for that.  My problem is what to put in for the connection string.  I suspect that there may be a permissions problem with the client application connecting to the database on the server.  I can't believe that this is so difficult.  Are there no simple examples anywhere? All of the examples on .Net Remoting simply have the remote object returning a simple string (which I have managed to do).  It would be helpful to get an example that does something with a database table.

Pete

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 3:39 PM
  • just put any connection string. There is nothing to suspect. If it wont run then paste ur code here and we will help u.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 5:12 PM
  • Moved from the remoting forum
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 8:41 PM
  • what happend?
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 9:01 PM
  • I have a class called clsConnection with a cnnString property:

public String cnnString

{

get

{

//String strConn = "Data Source=.\\SQLEXPRESS;

AttachDbFilename=\\\\OmegaServer\\Omega Database\\Omega\\Omega.mdf;

Integrated Security=True;Connect Timeout=30;User Instance=True";

String strConn = "Server=OmegaServer;Data Source=.\\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=N:\\Omega\\Omega.mdf;

Integrated Security=True;Connect Timeout=30;User Instance=True";

//String strConn = "Server=OmegaServer;Database=d:\\Omega Database\\Omega\\Omega.mdf";

return strConn;

}

}

The commented out lines are different options that I have tried.

Then in another class (clsUser) I have another method which uses the clsConnection class to try to connect to the database:

public void PopulateUserList(DataSet pdsUserSet)

{

clsConnection ccConn = new clsConnection();

SqlConnection sqlConn;

String strConn;

strConn = ccConn.cnnString;

if (strConn != null)

{

sqlConn = new SqlConnection(strConn);

try

{

sqlConn.Open();

}

catch

{

Console.WriteLine("Could not open connection.");

}

SqlDataAdapter sqlCommand;

sqlCommand = new SqlDataAdapter("spGetUserList", sqlConn);

sqlCommand.SelectCommand.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure;

// TotalRowsNum

SqlParameter TotalRowsNum = new SqlParameter("@TotalRowsNum", SqlDbType.Int);

TotalRowsNum.Value = null;

TotalRowsNum.Direction = ParameterDirection.Output;

sqlCommand.SelectCommand.Parameters.Add(TotalRowsNum);

sqlCommand.SelectCommand.Parameters["@TotalRowsNum"].Value = null;

sqlCommand.Fill(pdsUserSet, "users");

sqlConn.Close();

}

}

when trying the sqlConn.Open(); command I get the error:

The file \"N:\\Omega\\Omega.mdf\" is on a network path that is not supported for database files.\r\nAn attempt to attach an auto-named database for file N:\\Omega\\Omega.mdf failed.  A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share.

Pete

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 8:05 AM
  • if the file is not on the Server (remoting server) and exist on somewhere else, then its network permission problem. i know for sql server that you have to give remote access permission. check for Access. Its not remoting issue.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 1:07 PM
  • The file is definitely on the server. I suspect that it is a remote access permission problem, but I think that I have grantedt access.  I'll have to dig a bit further into  SQL Server issues.

Pete

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 2:07 PM
  • I have finally managed to get a connection and retrieve data from the database on the server.  I had to create the database on the server from Visual Studio .Net 2005 on my client PC.  So I guess it is a permissions problem.

Pete

Thursday, July 12, 2007 7:31 AM